News Intel Arrow Lake-S 800-series motherboard lineup from MaxSun listed — new B850 and B840 chipset models target the budget sector

""Intel Arrow Lake-S 800-series motherboard lineup from MaxSun listed — new B850 and B840 chipset models target the budget sector

The most interesting tidbit in MaxSun's lineup is the addition of the B850 and B840 chipset model names, alongside the B860 models. If these new chipsets pan out, Intel will have a whopping three B-series chipsets, nearly doubling Intel's chipset lineup for its next-generation CPUs.

The most mysterious chipset of the bunch is B840. Intel has never had more than four chipsets in the past, so it'll be very interesting to see what this extra B series entry will bring to the table""

Intel could have five new chipsets for LGA 1851, with three being B-series variants.

Excuse me, what ? Those B850 and B840 motherboards are AMD chipsets for sure in my opinion. AMD is already switching to the 800 series nomenclature as well.

For INTEL we have these :: Z890 / B860 / H810 chipsets, based on the LGA 1851 socket. So only 3 chipsets for now, not 5.

Highly "unlikely" for INTEL to use the B850 branding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jagar123
So, it's highly probable that the B850 and B840 motherboards are AMD chipsets, IMO.

AMD B850 motherboards should be the follow-up to the B650 series while the B840 might just be a more cost-effective option. One more theory has popped up recently:

Gossip in the AIB board forums point out that AMD is planning to drop the Extreme or E suffix from the mobo branding.

There is a possibility that instead of using the "E" Extreme tag, AMD might just use something like X870 for the high-end, and B850 and B840 for the mid-tier segment.

But the AMD B840M appears to be a new chipset.

This could either be a typo, and/or some new chipset which we either don't know about. Hence the above theory and speculation has been under scrutiny, as some think AMD might drop the E suffix, and instead will release two chipsets instead, like B850 and B840.

So, it's highly probable that the B850 and B840 motherboards are AMD chipsets, IMO.

AMD B850 motherboards should be the follow-up to the B650 series while the B840 might just be a more cost-effective option. One more theory has popped up recently:

Gossip in the AIB board forums point out that AMD is planning to drop the Extreme or E suffix from the mobo branding.

There is a possibility that instead of using the "E" Extreme tag, AMD might just use something like X870 for the high-end, and B850 and B840 for the mid-tier segment.

But the AMD B840M appears to be a new chipset.

This could either be a typo, and/or some new chipset which we either don't know about. Hence the above theory and speculation has been under scrutiny, as some think AMD might drop the E suffix, and instead will release two chipsets instead, like B850 and B840.
I've edited the article and headline. There's definitely something odd going on. I do wish AMD would have avoided the generation skip in branding, but that ship has apparently sailed.

I've edited the article and headline. There's definitely something odd going on. I do wish AMD would have avoided the generation skip in branding, but that ship has apparently sailed.

Thanks for the correction, jarred !

Anyway, it may seem a bit odd at first, but if we go by AMD's nomenclature the B650 series would definitely have been succeeded by either B750, or 850 as in this case.

Makes little sense for Intel to go for an Bx50-SKU mobo, if they already have an Bx60-class mobo chipset naming convention as used before ? But hey, I can't say for sure what Intel's marketing department plans to do next though, lol !

B65
B360
B460
B560
B660

So, let's wait and see how all this pans out. :)

Last edited:
Yes.

And since the B650E AORUS PRO X USB4 which was also recently showcased as a demo SKU having most of the 800-series chipset features, it further confirms that AMD is indeed using the B850 nomenclature.

The details for Gigabyte's B650E AORUS PRO X USB4 matches the specifications of the upcoming AMD 800-series motherboards, and it is also the first AMD motherboard to feature the USB4 platform.

It is AMD Ryzen "Granite Ridge" ready as claimed by Benchlife.

b650e-aorus-pro-x-usb4_1.jpg

I'm mostly curious what AMD is actually adding with these chipsets given that their X/B chipsets were already the same with just the second chipset in the case of the X. The only things I can really think of off the top of my head would be perhaps changing from the dual chipset configuration and adding USB4/WiFi7.

On the Intel side of things Z690, H670, W680, Z790, W790 and H770 are all the same chipset just configured slightly differently so it'll be interesting to see if the ARL+ chipset is actually different.

AMD has already confirmed that it would support the AM5 socket until at least 2025.

So no doubt some of these new motherboards will support previous generation of Ryzen 7000 series and other chips as well, albeit with a BIOS update/support.

And, all current socket AM5 motherboards will also support the new Ryzen 9000-series processors when they're released, of course after a BIOS update, depending on the make/model of the mobo (including the release date/revision).

Reactions: TechyIT223
Videocardz has posted leaks for Ryzen 9000 series, along with R7 5700XT and R9 5900XT.

Yes, I know that. Gigabyte's slides already confirmed the lineup before !

AMD's 9000 CPU lineup will initially include Ryzen 9 9950X, Ryzen 9 9900X, Ryzen 7 9700X, & Ryzen 5 9600X Desktop chips.

Taken from presentation deck by AORUS.

AMD-Ryzen-9000-Zen-5-Desktop-CPU-Leak-AORUS-_3-1920x1077.jpg

AMD-Ryzen-9000-Zen-5-Desktop-CPU-Leak-AORUS-_2-1920x1077.jpg

AMD-Ryzen-9000-Zen-5-Desktop-CPU-Leak-AORUS-_5-1456x817.png

Some more changes expected from 9000 series. Infinity Fabric clock of FCLK is now rated at up to 2400 MHz, vs 2000 MHz on Ryzen 7000 series.
  • Memory Native Speed by default - 5600 MT/s
  • EXPO Speeds- up to 8000 MT/s+
  • FCLK Speeds- 2400 MHz (Fabric)
AMD-Ryzen-9000-Zen-5-Desktop-CPU-Leak-AORUS-_4.jpg

AMD-Ryzen-9000-Zen-5-Desktop-CPU-Leak-AORUS-_6-1456x817.png

AMD-Ryzen-9000-Zen-5-Desktop-CPU-Leak-AORUS-_5-1456x817.png

Last edited:
>While I don't care about PCIe 5.0 SSDs this would be a bad step back in my book.

Why is it "bad" if you don't care about it?

Or more generally, what's so great about Gen 5 NVMe's aside from benchmark numbers? Can you actually tell the speed difference between 5 vs 4?
Because losing a usable feature that was already standard is bad period?

As I said I don't care about them, because I don't have a use for it, but that doesn't mean certain workloads cannot benefit from greater than PCIe 4.0 bandwidth. There's also the fact that we don't know what will come down the road with regards to additional capability. As an example it's certainly possible to bifurcate over M.2 so with PCIe 5.0 you could run two PCIe 5.0 drives with 2 lanes at the same level of performance as PCIe 4.0 with 4.
850 is mid-tier, and 840 is low/mid-tier, and I think they're fine as spec'ed. PCIe 4.0 is sufficient to run RTX 4090, which is the upperbound in required bandwidth for 99.9% of PC users.
The B850 mandates the primary slot be PCIe 5.0 which AMD did not do with the B650 so I'm not sure what your point is here. The only way someone who uses a video card would gain from a PCIe 5.0 slot is for future cards and only if there was more than one PCIe 5.0 slot on the board they were planning on using since 16 lanes of 4.0 is more than enough for every card.

The B840 is exactly what I'd expect from a budget offering where the board costs for PCIe implementation can be lower.

TechyIT223

Prominent
Jun 30, 2023
Those are some interesting slides. Thanks for sharing

So AMD has again the exact same CPU core counts as before? I thought we would be seeing an increase with the zen 5 lineup.

Or how about selling a 16 cores CPU for the exact same price as current generation 12 cores MSRP?

>Because losing a usable feature that was already standard is bad period?

What good is a feature if you don't intend to use it?
Because I don't assume my use case is everyone's?
Every higher spec incrementally adds to the BOM of the item. The B650's high cost was one of the main beefs against the Zen 4 platform. It took a year for costs to come down. Apparently AMD learned its lesson.
They're having to wire a PCIe 5.0 slot so you're just flat out wrong here as that will cost more than just the M.2 slot does.
>As an example it's certainly possible to bifurcate over M.2 so with PCIe 5.0 you could run two PCIe 5.0 drives with 2 lanes at the same level of performance as PCIe 4.0 with 4.

So which B650 boards do you know of that has PCIe bifurcation?

If peeps wanted PCIe bifurb, they wouldn't be buying B series with limited PCIe lanes in the first place.
You don't need bifurcation support on the board itself.
>The B850 mandates the primary slot be PCIe 5.0 which AMD did not do with the B650 so I'm not sure what your point is here.

My point is already stated: The PCIe 5-vs-4 you're going on about is basically nonsense for normal people. You're spouting hypotheticals with no basis in reality. The B boards are mid-tier, intended for mainstream use. PCIe 5.0 doesn't matter for mainstream.

That B850 has PCIe 5 slot is for product differentiation. It's for marketing, for people like you who care about specs, and not actual use.
Yes and my point is that if PCIe 5.0 doesn't matter for "mainstream" as you put it then them putting the primary slot as PCIe 5.0 is even more dumb than doing just the M.2 slot.
Yes, more hypotheticals about "future-proofing." It's good marketing to be sure, playing to people's FOMO fears. Here's a reality: If people can afford a $2K+ GPU that requires more bandwidth than 4090, they wouldn't cheap out with a B series board in the first place.
No this is just you not understanding my point about the PCIe 5.0 slot being useless whereas the M.2 slot can potentially carry a benefit.

Or how about selling a 16 cores CPU for the exact same price as current generation 12 cores MSRP?

That's not gonna happen. These new ZEN 5 chips are most likely going to retain the SAME pricing structure as the existing 7000 Desktop CPUs.

The 16 core AMD Ryzen 9 9950X should retail for $699 USD, whereas the 12 core Ryzen 9 9900X CPU should have a $549 USD MSRP.

On some other news.

The upcoming Ryzen 9 9950X CPU spotted running on an ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E GENE mobo, with 32 GB of DDR5-8400 memory.

AMD-Ryzen-9-9950X-Desktop-CPU-Leak-DDR5-8400.png

JULY release date 100% confirmed as well ! ;)

cFrihHM.jpeg

Last edited:

TechyIT223

Prominent
Jun 30, 2023
That's not gonna happen. These new ZEN 5 chips are most likely going to retain the SAME pricing structure as the existing 7000 Desktop CPUs.

The 16 core AMD Ryzen 9 9950X should retail for $699 USD, whereas the 12 core Ryzen 9 9900X CPU should have a $549 USD MSRP.

On some other news.

The upcoming Ryzen 9 9950X CPU spotted running on an ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E GENE mobo, with 32 GB of DDR5-8400 memory.

AMD-Ryzen-9-9950X-Desktop-CPU-Leak-DDR5-8400.png

JULY release date 100% confirmed as well ! ;)

cFrihHM.jpeg
Well that's sucks if the pricing is the same. But thanks for the information

Per AMD, Zen 4's IPC uplift was 8-10% over Zen 3. I'm expecting similar for Zen 5, and will be the sum total of Zen 5's perf improvement.
This is how it currently stacks up.

From AMD Excavator lineup to Zen 1: There was roughly a 52% increase in IPC
  • From Zen 1 - Zen+ lineup: 3% IPC Increase
  • Zen --Zen 2: 15% IPC Increase
  • Zen --Zen 3: 19% IPC Increase
  • Zen 3 -- Zen 4: we got a 13% IPC Increase
  • From Zen 4 -- to Zen 5: we can expect roughly 10-15% IPC increment (speculation)
EDIT:

It's official.

DvGe14o.jpeg

Last edited: