Intel Atom 1.86 GHz Too Rich for Netbook Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerninja7823

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
whats with the wildly varing prices? weird. but i know would not mind spending a few extra buck to buy a "faster the rest of the pack" netbook.

~compninja~

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Since when have Intel's fastest chips ever NOT been a rip-off? Over $1k for an extreme-edition i7 CPU? Its all just a certification process anyway. Intel spends more effort to certify those chips at 1.86GHz, and expects people to pay for it. When you talk about netbooks, I can't really see why someone would care about that extra 260MHz. Unless you're like computerninja and want to brag, which seems to be a common theme.

Edex

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
You can overclock the N270 to 1.9Ghz with ease. To get it to 2.0Ghz is a little bit more difficult though.

The market is SO monotone...

G

One problem with the dual-core Atom 330 - it's a desktop chip rated for 8 W, not a netbook one rated for 2.5.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
didnt Toms decide a while back that the Atom was kinda on the sluggish side? Im thinking of buying a cheap laptop before i go to college. My brother said get a netbook, they are meant for typing and internet. I wanted a tiny laptop. I did some research, and basically i can get a moderate dual core laptop that could blow away the Atom for around $400.

I realize that the netbook is popular because of its tiny size, and that Im looking for a 15" notebook.

And I still think that AMD could and should put its foot in the door and stop giving Intel this market, even if it could die soon.

sammo505

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Hmm an extra 260mhz for double the price. Whats the prob? What pisses me off more is that theres more bang for buck with a Athlon64 or Core 2 for even less. This is just another price conspiracy like the LCDs TH just reported on. I can get a Athlon X2 1.9ghx for $35. Well I guess that's what you pay for having the fastest slow PC.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Jumping from 1.6 GHz to 1.86 GHz won't allow you to use the Netbook in any different way. It will still be too slow for games, encoding etc., and it will still be fast enough for basic office work and web browsing. I'm kind of surprised they don't even use the 1.86 GHz chip in some of the overpriced $700 "netbooks" that are available, though. The profit margins on those must be huge and a slightly faster CPU might convince a few more idiots to pay that much money for Pentium-M 1 GHz-class performance.

Once Atom gets graphics, memory controller etc. integrated on-die, people will find it makes more sense and differentiates itself more from other mobile CPUs. The current Atom is really just a proof of concept. With the chipset drawing many times the power as the CPU itself, it's no wonder people look at other solutions like low-end Athlons or the Via C7.

G

Only if you could tweak the voltage then overclocking would be so much easier on these things. Being 45nm hitting 2.5ghz @ 1.3 volts would be super easy if not more....Unlocked CPU voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS