News Intel-Based Raspberry Pi Alternative UP 4000 Available For Pre Order

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I get RBP boards are still crazy hard to get and prices have gone up dramatically. However launching a “comparable” product at 3-4 times the price of what the product you’re competing against was priced pre pandemic seems like a bad idea. Pi boards will eventually come down and these will be discontinued. So no point in trying to build anything around them.

XaveT

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2013
I agree, at those price points, these aren't really competitors to the Raspberry Pi 4. I would love to see an Intel competitor, but I don't know a cheap enough chip on the Intel side to actually make it happen.

domih

Reputable
Jan 31, 2020
Don't complain, you pay 3+ times more for 3+ times more consumption :)

As always without the "Pi-like" in the title, nobody would read the article. Sigh.

I get RBP boards are still crazy hard to get and prices have gone up dramatically. However launching a “comparable” product at 3-4 times the price of what the product you’re competing against was priced pre pandemic seems like a bad idea. Pi boards will eventually come down and these will be discontinued. So no point in trying to build anything around them.
As the title says this is an alternative and not a competing product, some people just need the form factor but have to run x86 code, what are these people supposed to do? Emulate windows on the Pi? Those who need this will pay for it.