News Intel Begins Construction of $100 Billion Ohio Campus

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
For some reason and from what I have been reading recently all over the tech-channels, I thought that Intel is on its way out (including stock prices) and is now saddled with cash shortages, product development problems, not being as savvy as AMD and forced in shedding existing business units to bolster their bottom-line? But a $100 billion dollar Ohio investment and cash availability for a singular fabrication facility is amazing to see! Even president Biden himself will come out to shake Pat Gelsinger’s hands and applauding him by stepping-up to the bar and especially in difficult economic times we now experience.

AMD in turn is now being heralded to be the great Intel killer and having finally won the technological lead over Intel. But to really making this happen, AMD in my simple view should open ‘Mega Fabs’ like this in the USA and become free of foreign contractors and their control, and who at one time may wind-up being our adversaries? Why is AMD in this continuing worldwide political subterfuge and blatant expansionism not reigning in their production needs? Its their ultimate lifeline! But what do I know, I can’t even afford and had to give-up drinking Mountain Dew all together. That is my horizon!

Not sure if you know this but AMD started as a fab company and would basically make Intel CPUs when Intels couldn't pump enough CPUs out of their own fabs. AMD later got into the CPU game. At one point AMD was both a fab and cpu design company. Case in point Global Foundries was owned by AMD before it was sold off due to massive losses and not being able to keep up in advancement with Intel's own fabs and TSMC. This was when AMD was at it's lowest and almost went bankrupt. AMD basically took a page out of Nvidia's playbook and outsourced the fab work to TSMC and focused on chip design to get where they are now. Basically AMD focused on their core competency and let TSMC focus on it's core competency.

The problem companies like AMD and Intel face are that other countries greatly subsize fabs in their nations which allows companies like TSMC to rapidly accelerate the rate of development. Thus undercutting fabs in the US and other nations. Until recently the US didn't subsidize fabs as much until the world got hit by COVID and the chip shortage. Now people realize having fabs in other unstable regions are not in one's national security interest. Basically the pendulum has swung the other way.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
There are pros and cons having your own fab. You can prioritise your own chip production over competitors for example. On the flip side, Intel is in this mess because their own fab failed to deliver 10nm for many years. So sticking to their 14nm for many years, they lost whatever edge they have over their competitors. Likewise AMD also got into the same problem with their own fab in the past. Plus a misstep delivering the Bulldozer architect, they almost killed themselves. The problem here is this, Intel and any other fabs are chasing after the market. Chips were selling like hotcakes because of lockdowns that trigger unnatural sales spike. Now clearly, there is any over supply and Intel is just building their fab. And with so many fab expansion, there is only limited supply of whatever raw material or equipments that required to produce chips. That will also eventually become a bottleneck. I don’t believe all these expansion will be utilised. The cost of production in the states is also not going to be cost effective.