Intel Bug Causes Failed SSDs Turn 600GB to 8MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nearly nil

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Don't get too excited about this folks. The error is caused by extreme power cycling. Yes, it should be fixed to avoid this bug, but it sounds like normal use will not sink the boat. We are, essentially, early adopters of SSDs right now, so it's not too surprising that these bugs are coming up. That said, power cycling seems like a very routine Quality Control test, so why didn't Intel find this error prerelease?

hakkafusion

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
i'm surprised with the amount of defective sandforce drives that just drop dead vs intel drives, the sandforce drives don't get a cover story but intel do

G

After all,it's intel we are talking about,here, no surprises.
A bug here and there once in a while.
Cpu bugs,chipsets bugs,not news here.
but i want my data back ,i use them as a backup drive on an external case.
:-(

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Assuming you don't try to modify the drive in any way, I would assume the data is recoverable (perhaps re-flashing or replacing the controller). Maybe Intel would be so kind as to offer recovery services to the affected customers (and apparently, this isn't wide-spread, so it couldn't be that many people).

Still, don't know why you'd treat an SSD any different from other storage, i.e., MAKE BACKUPS!

lethal decipher

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]...Still, don't know why you'd treat an SSD any different from other storage, i.e., MAKE BACKUPS![/citation]

SSDs will outlast humans and most importantly roaches!

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]nearly nil[/nom]Don't get too excited about this folks. The error is caused by extreme power cycling. Yes, it should be fixed to avoid this bug, but it sounds like normal use will not sink the boat. We are, essentially, early adopters of SSDs right now, so it's not too surprising that these bugs are coming up. That said, power cycling seems like a very routine Quality Control test, so why didn't Intel find this error prerelease?[/citation]
Well SSD is already after early adopt stage being on market for 4 years.

darkphox

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
This happened to my wife's 120GB last night. Trust me, there is nothing excessive about her 'power cycling'. She turns it on during the day, and off at night. While it may not be widespread, it is a B.S. problem that Intel needs to fix.

Hoping my 160gb lasts until the supposed firmware update...my wife's lasted a little over a month. Feeling like mine is on borrowed time right now...

lethal decipher

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]just another reason to keep waiting for SSD's to mature.... and drop the prices[/citation]
I believe the previous comment regarding sandforce chip based drives are a good investment.

WilliamMGeorge

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
I work at a computer system builder, and we use exclusively Intel-brand SSDs. I checked out our failure reports, and so far we haven't had a single 320-series drive problem (either here during production or that a customer has reported in the field).

I'm sure that when Intel issues a fix we will be applying it, or course, but I just wanted to put this info out there since it seems this problem is a fairly limited in impact so far.

We've also found far more problems with other brands of SSDs over the years, which is why we only carry Intel now. I'm surprised to see Intel getting dinged about this when other manufacturers have had so many more issues.

Netherscourge

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
This is just another reason why I don't buy 1st generation products.

Call me when SSD 2.0 arrives and all the bugs and defects are stamped out during this retail beta test.

Oh, and maybe drop the price to something at least comparable to a HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.