Intel Burn & Prime95 i5 2500k

thegamecpt

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
I tested i5 2500k on 4.5GHz with 1.33v with Intel Burn setting to "high" ran 5 times.

It was all good and rock solid. But when I jumped to Prime95, blend mode, it didnt last 1 min.

Why?

45.png

Solution
probably cos prime 95 is a tougher test than intel burn

try dropping it to 4.4ghz and see what happens not all 2500k will run 4.5ghz

is it important to pass prime 95 stress testing? as far as i am concerned if my overclock never blue screens or shuts down during heavy gaming -video encoding and running loads of programs at once then its stable

probably cos prime 95 is a tougher test than intel burn

try dropping it to 4.4ghz and see what happens not all 2500k will run 4.5ghz

is it important to pass prime 95 stress testing? as far as i am concerned if my overclock never blue screens or shuts down during heavy gaming -video encoding and running loads of programs at once then its stable

Solution

BeeBahBoo

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Your voltage is set awfully high, don't you think?
I agree with mcnumpty for the most part, if you can do everything that you normally do without BSOD, I'd say you're stable.
Although, it doesn't hurt to be able to pass Prime95 stress tests (more peace of mind I'd say).

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Your vcore does seem fairly low. I think people say anything upto 1.5 on sandy bridge is ok but DO NOT go past that point.

Somewhere around 1.38/1.4 should be a nice vcore to achieve 4.5GHz OC.

Personally my ASUS P8Z68-v PRO is running i5-2500k @ 4.4GHz with max recorded vcore of 1.36.

thegamecpt

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Since we both use Asus board, there are some tips to share together.

I always use Ultra High LLC which is the best setting improving vdrop.

Second, is VRM Spread Spectrum useful ?

VRM frequency need to set Auto or enble?

CPU current capability Auto or higher?