Intel Burn Test Temperature of overclocked Q9650 reaching 99C

salilsurendran

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Hello,
I overclocked my Q9650 with vCore of 1.4V, fsb speed 450 and cpu ratio of 9. I ran Intel Burn Test and my CPU temperature reached 99C but the test completed successfully. Should I consider my CPU to be stable since the test completed or should I try to reduce the temperature. Idle temperature are at 60C.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What speed is that?

1.4v is too high for regular use and temps wont be as bad in games compared to ibt albeit on a warm day or heater going on a cold one, youd want to keep it cooler than that.

If you can keep cpu oc between 3.8 and 4 stable with less voltage, say no more then 1.3v and drastically improve heat, id settle for lower speed. Assuming your shooting for or around 4.2GHz?

What cpu heatsink are you using? And hows your case air flow?

Edit; Missed the ratio sorry, so speed of 4050, If you can't get it stable with less voltage, drop the memory speed a little.

salilsurendran

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I collected data over a period of 12 hours and the average idle temperature is around 40.8 C. I think my earlier report of 60C was probably because it was just after the IBT run which might have been wrong. Should 99C during IBT concern me since my idle temps seems ot be ok? Can I get higher speeds with lower voltage thereby keeping temperatures down? My cooler is Cooler Master Hyper 212.

Stress testing that long isn't really needed, an hour or so to test the cooling. It doesn't represent real world computer use. You should find the best speed, then lower the Voltage as much as you can to help cooling and prolong the life of the CPU. Run a gaming benchmark like Firestrike, or Unigine valley and see what your temps are actually like. Intel rates that CPU for 1.3675V.
https://ark.intel.com/products/35428/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9650-12M-Cache-3_00-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB
The closer you can get to that the better. But those CPUs are pretty cheap now so" letting the smoke out of it" is also an option.
Basically it's trial and error to see what your CPU/MB/Cooling combination will provide. 80* is considered too high. 75* would be a good target during gaming.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Games wont heat up as much as ibt. Roughly for games, add 20c above idle temps. Keep in mind changes in ambient temps throughout the year.

How long was the system idle after you run of ibt when you saw 60c? It doesn't take long for cpus to cool down, within 10seconds at most. Im wondering if your case isn't moving air quick enough or not sucking in the coldest air possible. Heat rises so lowest point like on the floor would help.

salilsurendran

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008

It was within a minute or so

boju

Titan
Ambassador
That is quite long. Heat is being trapped somewhere, its not moving efficiently so id have a closer look at the things ive mentioned and possibly too much thermal paste? Or not enough sink pressure? Dont overtight of course. Hyper 212 manual will say how many turns to tighten.

salilsurendran

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I played Xcom Enemy Unknown and the temperature remained in the 70s. However, I will play over steam link in which case the CPU will be working overtime and 100% so I guess the temperature will be too high at that time. So probably I should try to run the CPU with reduced voltage of maybe 1.36?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If it helps cool it down then yes. Relax memory frequency if it helps stabilise overclock.

If it was me id re-do paste when you get time. If you dont have any get a tube of noctua nh1 and some Isopropyl spray to clean the cpu/sink surface. Search methods how much paste to apply.

Hows your case airflow? Intake/exhaust fans?