Question Intel C600 Chipset question

Mar 13, 2023
Been looking daily for a couple of weeks now, can not find anything definitive. Dell T5600 with the dual CPUs and 32 gig of EEC. Can this chip set run both SATA ports on the MoBo and the SAS port on the MoBo. I know if you ADD a card, it will kill the SATA ports on the MoBo, but I cant find anything confirm, either of the possibilities.

Thanks
Ron

kanewolf

Titan
Been looking daily for a couple of weeks now, can not find anything definitive. Dell T5600 with the dual CPUs and 32 gig of EEC. Can this chip set run both SATA ports on the MoBo and the SAS port on the MoBo. I know if you ADD a card, it will kill the SATA ports on the MoBo, but I cant find anything confirm, either of the possibilities.

Thanks
Ron
Some motherboards required an extra authorization for SAS support. I was looking at a Fujitsu data sheet for another C600 thread and saw this, Not sure if Dell had anything similar.

Mar 13, 2023
As I read through the Dell Lit. It said the addon cards, killed the 4 onboard HDD Sata. Mentioned two primary addon cards that Dell preferred, and both killed it. Never saw that the Onboard SAS killed (Or did not kill), can you double check your sources? I also have not figured out if its 2 SAS or 4 SAS it supports. Push comes to shove, Ill order the factory cable and plug it in.

The Perc H310 is the most popular addon card.

Ron

Mar 13, 2023
As I read through the Dell Lit. It said the addon cards, killed the 4 onboard HDD Sata. Mentioned two primary addon cards that Dell preferred, and both killed it. Never saw that the Onboard SAS killed (Or did not kill), can you double check your sources? I also have not figured out if its 2 SAS or 4 SAS it supports. Push comes to shove, Ill order the factory cable and plug it in.

The Perc H310 is the most popular addon card.

Ron

Mar 13, 2023
Here is one of what Im seeing: PERC card disables, but this does not confirm they will or will not work without the PERC card:

Just did some testing with a new T5600 with BIOS A07, and figured I should set the record straight.

• HDD ports 0-4 on this board WILL activate if the PERC H310 card is removed and a device is connected to at least one of the HDD0-4 ports.
    • The storage controller activated appears to be the integrated Intel C600 chipset 4 port SAS/SATA controller, with PCI ID 8086:1d6b.
    • This chipset is documented to support SATA III speeds and TRIM but both are untested at this time.
    • When two or more drives are connected, the BIOS option ROM screen is enabled for "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology enterprise", with configuration utility available by typing Ctrl-I during boot. SCU Option ROM is version 3.2.0.1022.
    • When one drive is connected, the option ROM setup will not appear but the controller still functions normally.
    • When no drives are connected at startup, the controller will not be activated.
    • All ports 0-4 are activated and usable simultaneously in this configuration.
  • The onboard SAS1 (SFF-8087) connector does not seem to function in any configuration.
  • The onboard "RAID" controller WILL NOTactivate and ports HDD0-4 will be non-functional if the PERC H310 card is reinstalled in any available slot (1,2,4,5), whether any drives are connected to it or not.
    • A non-Dell (non-LSI?) SAS controller I was able to test does NOT cause the onboard SATA controller to be disabled like the PERC controller.

Mar 13, 2023
Found this, although it does not specifically answer my question, it implies it will run ONBOARD SAS and SATA at the same time: "The Intel® C600 chipset specifically supports eight flexible PCI Express* 2.0 x1 ports, up to eight SAS 3 Gb/s ports, two SATA 6 Gb/s ports, and four SATA 3 Gb/s ports, fourteen USB 2.0 ports, Legacy PCI, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe), and hardware XOR acceleration for RAID

Ron

Mar 13, 2023
Found this, although it does not specifically answer my question, it implies it will run ONBOARD SAS and SATA at the same time: "The Intel® C600 chipset specifically supports eight flexible PCI Express* 2.0 x1 ports, up to eight SAS 3 Gb/s ports, two SATA 6 Gb/s ports, and four SATA 3 Gb/s ports, fourteen USB 2.0 ports, Legacy PCI, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology enterprise (Intel® RSTe), and hardware XOR acceleration for RAID

Ron
Ordered the cable, no joy. Still have not confirmed they will or will not work, but plug and play they are NOT.