Question Intel Celeron vs Pentium

eggfriedrice

Prominent
Oct 12, 2020
I'm looking to buy a Windows laptop and have been looking at a few that suit my use case (basic office work, emails, web browsing etc), the ones I've narrowed down to have very similar CPUs but a significant price difference, can anyone advise if it is worth paying £100 more for the Pentium when on paper both CPUs are almost the same.

Intel® Celeron® N4120
Intel® Pentium® Silver N5030

Lutfij

Titan
The iGPU on the Pentium is clocked and spec'd slightly higher, while the processor clocks do boost higher on the Pentium. You're good to go with either one, though you sure you want to invest on those platforms and not something with an i3?

Might want to elaborate on the etc part of your use case scenario.

Reactions: CompuGuy71

USAFRet

Titan
I'm looking to buy a Windows laptop and have been looking at a few that suit my use case (basic office work, emails, web browsing etc), the ones I've narrowed down to have very similar CPUs but a significant price difference, can anyone advise if it is worth paying £100 more for the Pentium when on paper both CPUs are almost the same.

Intel® Celeron® N4120
Intel® Pentium® Silver N5030
Links to these laptops?

eggfriedrice

Prominent
Oct 12, 2020
The iGPU on the Pentium is clocked and spec'd slightly higher, while the processor clocks do boost higher on the Pentium. You're good to go with either one, though you sure you want to invest on those platforms and not something with an i3?

Might want to elaborate on the etc part of your use case scenario.

Sorry for the delayed response, never got an email notification. So I've narrowed the laptop search down to the Acer TravelMate Spin B3, which comes with both of these processors as options. I already have a decent spec desktop so just need an inexpensive compact laptop for on the go work with powerpoints, doc editing, checking emails etc. I'm quite a light user generally speaking e.g. never have more than 10 tabs/1 window open in Chrome for example. So figured something cheap with a FHD display would be nice, many of the other 11.6" options are stuck at 1366x768 and non touch.

Links to these laptops?

Narrowed it down to the Acer TravelMate Spin B3. Am also considering the Surface Laptop Go 2 which is obviously better on paper/more pricey. Though the form factor of the Acer is quite appealing...

eggfriedrice

Prominent
Oct 12, 2020
Links to the laptops, please, as asked by my colleague above... :)

Acer TravelMate Spin B3
+
many of the other 11.6" options are stuck at 1366x768 and non touch.

So you're looking at that sort of a panel size?

Yes, ideally I want as compact as possible. Had an 11.6" Asus laptop a while back which was brilliant (in terms of size), performance was fine as well, for me anyways. Looking at the article it seems as if an SSD is the way to go. But at the higher price bracket there are going to be more laptops out there, so back to the drawing board it is.

Lutfij

Titan
I had a client who approached me for a laptop...more like a netbook of sorts in order for her to carry it back and forth the office and something that wasn't heavy. After a bit of back and forth with what she does on a day to day basis, we settled on an Asus E203MAH-FD005T, it came with an HDD but we discussed about how I can replace the HDD for a 2.5" SSD in order to make the laptop boot faster and feel snappier.

You could look into the same though what I had to do was in September 2019 in 2022 you should have access to a slimmer profile of laptops, meaning M.2 SSD's.

eggfriedrice

Prominent
Oct 12, 2020
I had a client who approached me for a laptop...more like a netbook of sorts in order for her to carry it back and forth the office and something that wasn't heavy. After a bit of back and forth with what she does on a day to day basis, we settled on an Asus E203MAH-FD005T, it came with an HDD but we discussed about how I can replace the HDD for a 2.5" SSD in order to make the laptop boot faster and feel snappier.

You could look into the same though what I had to do was in September 2019 in 2022 you should have access to a slimmer profile of laptops, meaning M.2 SSD's.

I believe that may have been the same laptop I previously had! Very well built and got the simple tasks done with ease, I think mine was 4GB/64GB/Celeron, though the display was cr*p. I basically want something similar with a FHD touchscreen, but it seems as if the smaller size will come at a premium as there are plenty of 14-15.6" PCs around relatively inexpensive. The smaller devices generally all have low res.