News Intel CEO: Clients Want Custom x86-Based SoCs

D

Deleted member 431422

Is this some new type of commercial? Other companies have been doing this for quite some time, AMD included. None had to use PR methods to this extent. It's making me nauseous.

Reactions: Sleepy_Hollowed

Sleepy_Hollowed

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2017
Is this some new type of commercial? Other companies have been doing this for quite some time, AMD included. None had to use PR methods to this extent. It's making me nauseous.

yes, this was pretty insane. AMD has been doing custom SoCs for clients since the Xbox One/PS4 we’re starting to be developed, that intel hadn’t done this explains a lot of why Apple abandoned them for their own designs.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
yes, this was pretty insane. AMD has been doing custom SoCs for clients since the Xbox One/PS4 we’re starting to be developed, that intel hadn’t done this explains a lot of why Apple abandoned them for their own designs.
but again, it's more of a foundry service than a "custom designed chip" which AMD doesn't offer

I feel uneasy everytime a big corporation like Intel needs to go out to the media every week and throw a lot of statements/headlines about their new product/strategies and how good they will be.

I mean if you have soo much awesome stuff why do you need to talk soo much. Get your stuff out in the wild (whenever you have it ready) and let it talk by itself.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
If it wasn't for AMD I wonder if we'd still be on a ~2GHz iteration of the original Pentium...;) It seems like Intel needs AMD to show it what to do and where to go every so often or the company just stagnates. Intel will find keeping up with AMD this time around to be much different than the last time AMD spurred Intel to take AMD's x86-64 and go to Core 2/Sdram when what Intel wanted the world to buy was Itanium/Rdram--often lovingly termed "Itanic"...;) (Which finally sank for good not long ago.)

About the time Intel will be having its "Zen moment," AMD will be having its Zen4 moment--or maybe its Zen 5 moment. Will be very interesting to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: vern72

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Intel wants their Zen moment, but they failed to understand that AMD being the underdog then was not just trying to compete with performance, but was offering a lot better value than Intel. In terms of what they offer, AMD really went big, i.e. introducing an 8 core processor while Intel is still happily peddling 4 core processors to us for more than a decade.

Anyway, as to Intel's fab strategy, I am not very sure if, (1) they know they customers that well, and, (2)if their competitors are comfortable using their fab since Intel is a major competitor. There may be companies that want x86 custom chips, but I feel the trend is that people are moving away from x86 because they are less efficient than x64. Companies that have invested in custom x64 chips definitely did their homework when it comes to performance, power efficiency and cost, before they choose to produce their own custom SOC for workload specific to their usage.

Sep 5, 2021
I feel uneasy everytime a big corporation like Intel needs to go out to the media every week and throw a lot of statements/headlines about their new product/strategies and how good they will be.

I mean if you have soo much awesome stuff why do you need to talk soo much. Get your stuff out in the wild (whenever you have it ready) and let it talk by itself.
Exactly, they seem desperate trying to stay relevant.

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
but I feel the trend is that people are moving away from x86 because they are less efficient than x64. Companies that have invested in custom x64 chips definitely did their homework when it comes to performance, power efficiency and cost, before they choose to produce their own custom SOC for workload specific to their usage.
I think by x86, they meant x86_64 ie. x64 and not x86 (IA32, iirc)
Unless I missed something

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

Well, AMD has the benefit of having a smorgasbord of GPU architectures to pair with their CPUs. Even with Xe, Intel is not yet into console territory yet. I think Apple abandoned them for the same reason everyone else (that had a choice) did: efficiency. Gotta admit the m1 chips have been a home run in that area.

Meh, intel made the custom CPU for the first xbox way back in dinosaur times.
Just because intel doesn't need to make custom stuff to survive doesn't mean anything.
Of course when opening a new FAB, offering a service that nobody else can offer is a good strategy.
AMD can play with the amount of GPU and the number of cores but that's about it, what else can they do?
Intel has a number of different CPU arches going on from very low laptop CPUs up to server CPUs together with Xe.

Sep 2, 2021
I think this article is just another proof of why nobody gives gives two crapes anymore about what intel has to say.
It has been the same like this for quite some time. Nobody wants to hear what someone could do or might do, if you simply failed to deliver for a very, very long time.
Hence, it is practically impossible to take any annoncement/comment serious.
They must deliver. PERIOD. And then, and only then, when they proved their worthyness, reliableness and power to still perform, people will take them serious again.
Currently, this is all just a big joke with no real value added to anything.

Reactions: Conahl
Meh, intel made the custom CPU for the first xbox way back in dinosaur times.
Just because intel doesn't need to make custom stuff to survive doesn't mean anything.
Of course when opening a new FAB, offering a service that nobody else can offer is a good strategy.
AMD can play with the amount of GPU and the number of cores but that's about it, what else can they do?
Intel has a number of different CPU arches going on from very low laptop CPUs up to server CPUs together with Xe.
The chip in the first Xbox was a Pentium III and had no graphical capabilities - those were found in a custom Nvidia chip that was half-way between a Geforce 3 and a Geforce 4. The Intel chip wasn't a custom processor, inasmuch as it used exactly the same silicon as PC processors of the time but with a different firmware to define a different bus speed and multiplier frequency than what was found in PCs.

Last edited:

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
Probably because of too greedy?
Every year we only given a product that not so different or little improvement to squeeze more?
Now that competitor have more on their hands intel realized they could sank faster than they thought