News Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger Declares 'AMD's Lead Is Over' After Alder Lake, Sapphire Rapids

Sep 2, 2021
Wow, he tries really hard to emphasize intel is back.
Unlucky, that he is in the position having to emphasize it cuz apparently they are not back (SPR H2/22 my friend...).
It should be more like T1000: I LL BE BACK, not I am back, cuz they clearly are not back yet, despite his very hard claiming and trying to sell fairy tales.

Reactions: VforV and artk2219
"We're not 80-ish percent share because we don't satisfy the customers and satisfy the market and enable the partners as well," Gelsinger said. "And yeah, AMD has done a solid job over the last couple of years. We won't dismiss them of the good work that they've done, but that's over with Alder Lake and Sapphire Rapids."

you are 80% share (and falling) becasue you had a legit massive time w/o actual competition..and when it came you lost share %.

also i find it funny he claims to know intel is best on their next gen cpu's w/o knowing what amd's will even be.

will the new chips be good? prolly. but way he goeso n is a awful.

JayNor

Reputable
May 31, 2019
Sapphire Rapids volume qualification is ongoing. Alder Lake launch is imminent. What is AMD's zen4 status? At Hotchips, their slide presentation said status is "in design".

To claim Intel is ahead until AMD can match the Golden Cove single core benchmark leaks and catch up on the Intel chip features ... pcie5, cxl, ddr5, amx tiled matrix operations, DSA, third gen Optane, wifi6e, thunderbolt4, avx512, dlboost, bfloat16... is a bit of an understatement.

Reactions: Why_Me and artk2219
Sep 2, 2021
The point is, if you already have to convince the broad mass of something well, apparently its not so obvious or its simply not true ( or optional you might be just too simple minded to get it, that is the mass, and yet my point is still valid).

That's a lot of words to say "we'll force AMD out of the market, again, with anti-competitive measures".

On a more serious note, I don't think ADL will be bad, but I do not think their lead is going to be as impressive as before (or after Bulldozer, I should say?). I do believe they'll somehow re-take the lead, but not with a margin that's mind blowing. Also, if he thinks AMD will just concede, he's awfully wrong. The 3D cache is going to put the hurt on them if Intel can't make it happen for them soon. Check HUB's core scaling investigation where they basically find that cache is the only deciding factor gen-over-gen for Intel!

Regards.

Jim90

Distinguished
Sapphire Rapids volume qualification is ongoing. Alder Lake launch is imminent. What is AMD's zen4 status? At Hotchips, their slide presentation said status is "in design".

To claim Intel is ahead until AMD can match the Golden Cove single core benchmark leaks and catch up on the Intel chip features ... pcie5, cxl, ddr5, amx tiled matrix operations, DSA, third gen Optane, wifi6e, thunderbolt4, avx512, dlboost, bfloat16... is a bit of an understatement.

Shill much, lol.

But yes, we all need on-going healthy competition...for rather obvious reasons!

dave.jeffers

Reputable
Nov 1, 2018
AMDs war with Intel is over. The market doesn't realize it yet and still listens to these promises of the current captain of the titanic. TSMC will not assist Intel with major product. TSMC will take Intels server processor business by fabbing AMD CPU AND GPU chiplets. Intel will continue to overpromise and underdeliver, with inferior, hot, inefficient silicon. Bring on nvidia. Let's see if MCM GPUs do the same thing in the GPU market.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
AMDs war with Intel is over. The market doesn't realize it yet and still listens to these promises of the current captain of the titanic. TSMC will not assist Intel with major product. TSMC will take Intels server processor business by fabbing AMD CPU AND GPU chiplets. Intel will continue to overpromise and underdeliver, with inferior, hot, inefficient silicon. Bring on nvidia. Let's see if MCM GPUs do the same thing in the GPU market.
The only thing TSMC has loyalty to is money, not AMD. You might want to try and read the news before posting dumb stuff like this.

https://www.techspot.com/news/90780-intel-has-reportedly-secured-majority-tsmc-3nm-production.html

Intel is about to have a process advantage vs AMD because of the same company you just said is going to take them down, TSMC. Intel has more money than AMD, they now have priority over them for leading edge node allocations as a result. Rumors are that Intel will be using TSMC's 3nm for some Xeon sku's, so the market could look very different by the end of 2022.

korekan

Commendable
Jan 15, 2021
We should already leaped at next gen to more core can work for single core faster than ever.
If we still depending on single core for single task or process we will not go better. It will be the bottleneck forever.
By design it should be designed by ai so it could capable doing single process with all cores and thread a CPU have

Oct 5, 2021
The only thing TSMC has loyalty to is money, not AMD. You might want to try and read the news before posting dumb stuff like this.

https://www.techspot.com/news/90780-intel-has-reportedly-secured-majority-tsmc-3nm-production.html

Intel is about to have a process advantage vs AMD because of the same company you just said is going to take them down, TSMC. Intel has more money than AMD, they now have priority over them for leading edge node allocations as a result. Rumors are that Intel will be using TSMC's 3nm for some Xeon sku's, so the market could look very different by the end of 2022.

I suggest you look at the TSMC customer tier system. Basically while Intel makes their own chips they will not get the access that AMD gets. So AMD gets to buy capacity before Intel. Intel competes for what is leftover.

I suggest you look at the TSMC customer tier system. Basically while Intel makes their own chips they will not get the access that AMD gets. So AMD gets to buy capacity before Intel. Intel competes for what is leftover.
AMD is extremely limited by the amount of money they have to spend.
Even if they get to choose first how much they get to buy they don't have the money to buy up a lot of it.

Reactions: artk2219
We should already leaped at next gen to more core can work for single core faster than ever.
If we still depending on single core for single task or process we will not go better. It will be the bottleneck forever.
By design it should be designed by ai so it could capable doing single process with all cores and thread a CPU have
This is like saying to make 9 women pregnant to get one kid in one moth instead of in 9 months.
Things that are not possible are not possible.

Oct 5, 2021
AMD is extremely limited by the amount of money they have to spend.
Even if they get to choose first how much they get to buy they don't have the money to buy up a lot of it.

They have enough money to buy up what they need. And the last couple years have help with their cash flow.
My other post was that they are a prefered customer at TSMC, which gives them benifits that Intel won't have there.

They have enough money to buy up what they need. And the last couple years have help with their cash flow.
How do you come to that conclusion?! Can you share the math you use?
Sure they made a lot of money lately but tsmc newest node is going to be very expensive and compared to other companies (like apple) that want the same technologies, how can you possibly know if they have enough money or not?!

"And yeah, AMD has done a solid job over the last couple of years. We won't dismiss them of the good work that they've done, but that's over with Alder Lake and Sapphire Rapids. "

lol intel's CEO really think that once Alder Lake and Saphire Rapids are available, AMD wil give up and go back to sleep.

Just because your next product may be able to get the number 1 on many charts again, doesn't mean AMD will give up its efforts and market share and disappear.
Theres not many people that needs a faster gaming CPU right now, well probably those with the top tier GPUs (RTX 3090/3080TI and RX 6900XT) but those are not a lot of people, not in this global pandemic world, with low stocks and high-sky gpu prices.
Perhaps for "home" busines/coding/workstation users with some apps that it may make a difference over AMD.

I really hope intel can get the fight back to AMD and have a decent prodcut line, but I guess only time will tell if this is the end of AMD. I think this is more like a stay relevant scream than anything else.

If you really have such an amazing product launch the d"!#!"# thing and stop screaming empty headlines. I am really hoping Alder Lake to be a product that gives great performance with decent power requirements, thats what I want, lets see what your company deliver.

Last edited:

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Check the tier system again. It goes like this: You have the most money? Pick what you want.

It's been widely reported that Apple and Intel have squeezed out AMD from initial access to TSMC's 3nm. Stay up to date.

Oct 5, 2021
How do you come to that conclusion?! Can you share the math you use?
Sure they made a lot of money lately but tsmc newest node is going to be very expensive and compared to other companies (like apple) that want the same technologies, how can you possibly know if they have enough money or not?!

How do you come to the conclusion that they can't afford it, can you show me your math?
Yeah the new node is expensive, so products on it will be more expensive. It is what companies do, they pass the cost on. You are making it sound like the new nodes will be 100-1000 times more expensive, in which case you wouldn't see any company wanting to use the new node. TSMC ranks their customers and the higher a customer the better the benifits they get. Apple is ranked #1. Which is why they always first to the new nodes. AMD is probably the second biggest partner and ranked really high, so they will not have to compete for fab space with lower tier customers. That is why AMD will be able to buy what they need.

Oct 5, 2021
Check the tier system again. It goes like this: You have the most money? Pick what you want.

It's been widely reported that Apple and Intel have squeezed out AMD from initial access to TSMC's 3nm. Stay up to date.

Yup you have no idea how TSMC tiers their customers. Yes Apple will have the lions share of 3nm, like they had the lions share of the initial 5nm. Mostly because their chips are smaller less powerfull ones for phones. They are still working out manufacturing during that time. That is why AMD came in later when defect ratios are lower. If Intel is going to be building large chips on a brand new node it goes against the norm of the industry. Not saying they will not, but that AMD was probably not even trying to compete for that node yet.

How do you come to the conclusion that they can't afford it, can you show me your math?
Yeah the new node is expensive, so products on it will be more expensive. It is what companies do, they pass the cost on. You are making it sound like the new nodes will be 100-1000 times more expensive, in which case you wouldn't see any company wanting to use the new node. TSMC ranks their customers and the higher a customer the better the benifits they get. Apple is ranked #1. Which is why they always first to the new nodes. AMD is probably the second biggest partner and ranked really high, so they will not have to compete for fab space with lower tier customers. That is why AMD will be able to buy what they need.
AMD has 3.7 bil of cash right now, even if this increases to 5bil until they need to buy new wafers and even if they spend all of their money on wafers leaving them with nothing left to do any other things a company needs to do.
If 5bil gives them a big percentage of wafers then why even bother, the number of units will be so small that they wouldn't be able to make any large difference anyway.
If 5 bil gives them a small percentage then there will be enough left for other companies. (unless apple buys up everything)

Oct 5, 2021
AMD has 3.7 bil of cash right now, even if this increases to 5bil until they need to buy new wafers and even if they spend all of their money on wafers leaving them with nothing left to do any other things a company needs to do.
If 5bil gives them a big percentage of wafers then why even bother, the number of units will be so small that they wouldn't be able to make any large difference anyway.
If 5 bil gives them a small percentage then there will be enough left for other companies. (unless apple buys up everything)
So you are saying they have enough cash to buy what they need. Which is what I said.

So you are saying they have enough cash to buy what they need. Which is what I said.
The question was if they can buy enough to limit the amount of wafers that intel could buy, not if they can buy enough to make a profit for themselves.
If "the leftovers" is the large majority of wafers then it doesn't make any sense.