Intel CEO: Sandy Bridge to Bring $125B This Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
"VentureBeat reported. The publication quoted the executive stating that the Sandy Bridge "processor graphics is outperforming 40% to 50% of the discrete (stand-alone) graphics chips in the market today.”

Which proves executives are idiots since SB can only outperform when decoding and decoding video streams because chip dedicated hard coated programming to do this. When gaming, which is what discrete video cards are for, SB is not much better than the old Intel deceleraters of old. Video encoding and decoding on GPU's has only recently been a feature and not the sole purpose of the GPU. I see the general public buying this crap and companies like Apple telling their minions to blindly believe this kind of garbage statements to sell their junk.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
lol!
8000?

I can make my own for just under $1000!
One corei5 2600k processor, and a Radeon HD 6850 should give a formidable gaming pc, especially for older games (of 2 years and more old).

ares1214

Splendid
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Try an make it hit 5Ghz on $1k...read the article..sheesh.[/citation]

I could get it to 5 GHz on a $1000 budget...its not like the budget really changes much.

[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]"VentureBeat reported. The publication quoted the executive stating that the Sandy Bridge "processor graphics is outperforming 40% to 50% of the discrete (stand-alone) graphics chips in the market today.”Which proves executives are idiots since SB can only outperform when decoding and decoding video streams because chip dedicated hard coated programming to do this. When gaming, which is what discrete video cards are for, SB is not much better than the old Intel deceleraters of old. Video encoding and decoding on GPU's has only recently been a feature and not the sole purpose of the GPU. I see the general public buying this crap and companies like Apple telling their minions to blindly believe this kind of garbage statements to sell their junk.[/citation]

Actually most benchmarks show that the HD 3000 IGP on Sandy bridge are about 2x better than what was on Clarksdale (Nehalem based) and is keeping up with most entry level discrete GPUs. Add in Quick Sync and probably much lower power usage and it is a winner.

Power usage from THG alone was showing it being more efficient than Clarksdale CPUs with just 2 cores as well as much more efficient than Phenom II CPUs. This will translate into major power savings for laptops while also allowing for some lower end gaming that a lot of people want without having to have a battery killing discrete GPU.

Most OEM PCs with a GPU that are not specifically gaming PCs have a entry level GPU like a HD4550 or GTS 230.

blarneypete

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]$125 Billion I can bet only $20 000 of that will go to charity or something.[/citation]

You can't really expect a corporation to be charitable like an individual person.

This is where I tip my hat to Bill Gates. Like Bill, I plan to be charitable and die broke.

iLLz

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]Yeah right. After switching sockets so many times, I think some of us are made enough at Intel to NOT buy a SB.[/citation]

There is a reason SB is getting a new socket. And no, its not to rape your pockets. Check out the architectural changes in an article over at Anandtech.com. It will enlighten you.

Intel added a ringbus inside the CPU to handle dataflow. They also changed quite a bit about the uncore (now renamed to system agent) and Last level cache. The cache now operates at the same speed as the core frequency. And let's not forget the Bclk being on motherboard now and is pretty much locked at 100Mhz. Since the Bclk is relocated and now is linked with PCIe frequencies.

With all of these changes (there are many more), Intel really had to go with a new socket and chipset. Don't be mad, its progress. Don't forget now the PCIe lanes are full speed too (Full 5GT/s).

At any rate, take a look.

Preview (Lists Architecture changes)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3922/intels-sandy-bridge-architecture-exposed

Review (Performance Analysis)
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-review-intel-core-i7-2600k-i5-2500k-core-i3-2100-tested

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]$125 Billion I can bet only $20 000 of that will go to charity or something.[/citation]

That's revenue, not profit.
I bet profit isn't small though. Competition between AMD and Intel is hard but it's still a Duopoly and Intel has the upper hand.

rootheday

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Regarding Sandybridge outperforming 40-50% of discrete gpus - Mooly was talking about performance in gaming, not video encode/decode.

Remember that a very large percentage of graphics cards sold are, in fact, NV310, AMD5470 or older (4330, 4350). Think cheap systems in China; even many of the Arrandale Optimus laptops were paired with NVidia 310M. Many consumers in Asia and Europe see "512MB discrete gpu" on the FAQ tag and think it must be good. Sandybridge is, in fact, faster at gaming than those cards.

Lest you think that NVidia and AMD are done selling these low spec cards, look at the announcements this week:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4087/nvidia-500m-refreshing-the-400m/2 - see the NV315, 410, etc...
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4109/amd-and-globalfoundries-ces-2011/4 - 6300M looks like a rebranded 5450

Scott2010au

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Executives generally don't want to spend money on a solution that permits their workers to play games instead of working though.

As a result Intel has created a fantastic 'super-product' as far as I am concerned. (Since anyone can still add a PCIe x16 2.0 video card, so long as they are permitted to open the case in the first place - not to common at workplaces).

It is win - win - win (the third win is for the economy)

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
What ? Beating 50% of the discrete cards ? You gotta be kidding me. This thing isn't good enough to play Dave (alright, I know that is stupid) unless there are 100 discrete cards in the market with performance below that of a HD 5400.

G

Actually, Intel does contribute a lot to charity, they have donated land here in AZ to fire training facilities and schools, whenever there is a disaster like in Haiti they have donation matching, which doubles any employee donation.
Disclaimer - I am an Intel employee, that means there is a love/hate dynamic concerning the company. It just has not been the same since Andy Grove gave up control. :(

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]motoguzzi[/nom]Actually, Intel does contribute a lot to charity, they have donated land here in AZ to fire training facilities and schools, whenever there is a disaster like in Haiti they have donation matching, which doubles any employee donation.Disclaimer - I am an Intel employee, that means there is a love/hate dynamic concerning the company. It just has not been the same since Andy Grove gave up control.[/citation]

This right there shows you what greedy fracking bastards Intel are. With a company so profitable to begin with why in the heck does it fall on the employees shoulders to give out of their income before intel will donate???

F-U-C-K intel, I hate the bastards!!!

G

They contribute to charity bull shit charity never helped me . That is a tax right off for them.
His new computer I just got better be good the I.7 2600 intel chip they try to make to break down to fast and got it done to fast.. Just like every thing else it will last 1 to 5 years depends on the warranty that you have. This chip has a 3 year warranty..so to me they are just like the rest of them ..make junk to brake down.so you buy new ...if it does I will never buy again. Just like all the other junk in the last 10 years..you name it ..I am not alone..

Status
Not open for further replies.