Intel CEO Says That 4G Will Be Integrated into SoCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajay_vishvanathan

Distinguished
May 9, 2009
Intel!!! Patent this one fast!!! IBM and Apple are catching up!!! :p

btw this good.. insert your SIM card in your laptop/netbook, you are good to go without a phone.. how about GPS ??

[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]Intel!!! Patent this one fast!!! IBM and Apple are catching up!!! btw this good.. insert your SIM card in your laptop/netbook, you are good to go without a phone.. how about GPS ??[/citation]

unless they start adding some type of built in headset to laptops that idea is totally pointless

bigo65

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]unless they start adding some type of built in headset to laptops that idea is totally pointless[/citation]

Since LTE data is of no use whatsoever without a headset...

v3nom777

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]unless they start adding some type of built in headset to laptops that idea is totally pointless[/citation]

Most laptops now have Microphones built in with the camera.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]But it isn't x86 compatible.[/citation]

So, Windows 8 runs on ARM and most mobile development has been done for ARM.

It does seem to be the case that the next Snapdragon iteration will have most wireless done on-chip. This is doesn't seem like Intel is being a leader, but just following the trend.

fancarolina

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Seems to me they would be better off integrating 802.11ac on the chip. Leave the 4G, 3G, WiMax, flavor of the month on another chip so you can just swap it out when you want the new tech.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]stardude82[/nom]So, Windows 8 runs on ARM and most mobile development has been done for ARM.It does seem to be the case that the next Snapdragon iteration will have most wireless done on-chip. This is doesn't seem like Intel is being a leader, but just following the trend.[/citation]

a valid point, but only half of one.

while windows 8 will work on x86 and ARM only the x86 vertion will support x86 applications. so unless the number of ARM compatable programs grows alot you'll still be limited. an ARM tablet or phone with windows 8 will be nice, but a laptop or even a desktop would be severly limited in functionality for some until compatable programs come out for ARM.

Hopefully it does bcome the norm though for software companies to release x86 and ARM varients, but my hopes to run some of my older games and programs with ARM are unlikely. hope it does happen though. competition is always good I'm just not convinced it will work out that way

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
I listened to that call and I wouldn't characterize what Otellini said as vowing to get 4G on to the same chip as the processor. He most certainly said integration was a priority, but he also said he wasn't ready to divulge a timetable.

fidgewinkle

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]a valid point, but only half of one.while windows 8 will work on x86 and ARM only the x86 vertion will support x86 applications. so unless the number of ARM compatable programs grows alot you'll still be limited. an ARM tablet or phone with windows 8 will be nice, but a laptop or even a desktop would be severly limited in functionality for some until compatable programs come out for ARM.Hopefully it does bcome the norm though for software companies to release x86 and ARM varients, but my hopes to run some of my older games and programs with ARM are unlikely. hope it does happen though. competition is always good I'm just not convinced it will work out that way[/citation]

The most important point here is this: Most x86 legacy programs are compiled while most mobile ARM programs are run in an interpreter. This means that there is little stopping x86 from moving into ARM territory while there are huge barriers for ARM moving into x86 territory.

ummm...yea...buuuut why would you need somthing like that when you can use programs like skype and others to make video/audio calls already over VOIP instead of a cell network which is more reliable. why pay extra for a feature like that when laptops already can?

like i said pointless

ashesofempires04

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Because Wi-Fi isn't available everywhere? I think it would be a useful feature for a lot of construction contractors who have to travel a lot, and don't have access to Wi-Fi to skype on. Or for anyone who travels a lot but isn't always surrounded by Wi-Fi hotspots.

I would buy a laptop that I could put a sim card into and use as a cell phone, so long as it wasn't wholly crippled in other areas like actual compute performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.