News Intel CEO Warns Ohio Fab Might Move to Europe if Congress Fails to Act

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quicker it gets approved, the more loopholes there will be unspotted (potentially). Business 101 xD

Unnecessary pressure for sure. The USA wants local manufacturing capacity given the global political climate, so they'll give the incentives anyway. Ah, right; who cares. Easy money to be made from the tax payers.

Regards.

cirdecus

Distinguished
I don't really think democrats care much about the cliff we're headed off with local chip manufacturing. They're focused on the election and if they can't get unrelated political promises met, they'll let Intel go. They could care less about the future of the country.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
Maybe the US should instead just invite over TSMC or even Samsung to open a secondary-level plant if Intel doesn't want to play. After all, TSMC is opening one in Arizona with or without the CHIPS Act, and the right incentives from a different state can open up one for Samsung too. Both could probably then compete for lucrative government contracts, which mandate a US-based production facility.

Reactions: King_V

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Given the current makeup of the US congress, I don't expect the bill to pass until January. 2023. The US senate passed the bill with something like 99 out of 100 votes. The house sees this as a must-pass bill, so they are trying to attach a few hundred billion dollars of non-related spending to it.
The democrats only have about a 7-vote majority in the house. It is expected that they will lose control of the house in this fall's election, and it is quite possible that they will lose a few votes in the senate as well.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Frankly, good riddance. Why should tax payers foot the bill of new fabs when these companies are worth tens of billions of dollars and the CEO's are payed millions. All congress should do is tariff the snot out of any chip imports if these companies don't open fabs in the U.S. I'm all for capitalism but not subsidized capitalism.

Last edited:
Reactions: coolitic

Giroro

Splendid
Intel acts like Congress has no choice but to lay down and give them unlimited money. Who do they think they are, the NFL?

I propose an alternate idea: Void all of Intel's patents in the US, and instead subsidize 100 other local companies to come in and steal intel's designs. It works to get fabs built in China, so why not get in on that action?

Should these companies get taxpayer money? Nope, but it's ignorant to expect any company to expand in a place that isn't going to give them subsidies they can get elsewhere. The explosion in SEA coincided with government subsidies and Europe isn't messing around offering large subsidies now. Relative to the federal budget this funding is basically nothing. All I'd really like to see is some sort of guarantees that the money goes towards US expansion/jobs and nothing else.

Jul 15, 2022
Does Intel need the money, is it the way it's done or greed.? Intel is important to our country why do we pay them if they don't need it? My answer is starting a Go fund me. Otherwise intel will move to another country. We need them but are being bullied.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Intel trying to hold the American tax-payer hostage, that's cute.

If these "America-based" global companies hold no true allegiance to the US and think they can be entitled to hand-outs, then they can go elsewhere and we can tariff their imports.

Reactions: purple_dragon
Status
Not open for further replies.