News Intel Chipset Shortage Is Real: Some Boards Could See Price Hikes

InvalidError

Titan
In other words: business as usual. Intel's shortages that have been on-going for years already are still expected to be on-going for the foreseeable future.

There is no miracle cure to Intel's silicon shortage issues other than get 10nm, 7nm and beyond to volume production yesterday. The bulk of Intel's production volume issues are consequences of 10nm being over four years late to volume production - can't move all chipsets to 14nm until enough CPUs have moved to 10nm and beyond to free up sufficient capacity.

I doubt it is going to get any better for Intel before 2023 and even then, only if there are no further delays or issues of any kind with its 7nm.

Reactions: Co BIY

Co BIY

Splendid
But why is their a shortage in 22nm chipsets ? ( I thought that this is where any slack in capacity would be. Have they have cut it to create more 14nm capacity?) If they can choose which to produce with the same production resources then it is obviously better to sell higher margin products.

With only three big cutting edge producers (TSMC, Intel and Samsung) I see no incentive for any of them to push the total global production capacity past a point of slight shortage.

All three are making money hand over fist. With their current success they have no need to radically change things.