Intel Clover Trail+: A New Smartphone Platform With Atom Z2580

Status
Not open for further replies.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
If I remember correctly, margins in mobile market are so small by Intel's standards, that even if they manage to capture most of the market it would still be a laughable income for them.

So the only reason they are doing it is: fear.

And oh well, no thanks, dear Intel, enjoy your x86 margins while you can.

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]If I remember correctly, margins in mobile market are so small by Intel's standards, that even if they manage to capture most of the market it would still be a laughable income for them.So the only reason they are doing it is: fear.And oh well, no thanks, dear Intel, enjoy your x86 margins while you can.[/citation]
If they can put out a superior product, even if it is due to fear, more power to them.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]drakefyre[/nom]If they can put out a superior product, even if it is due to fear, more power to them.[/citation]

errr what? the last thing we need is intel dominating another market. At some point we do need to move away from x86 as Intel pretty much hold all the cards for it and refuses to licence it anymore. I'm pretty sure AMD and VIA are the only ones that have one, neither of which have the money or resources to present a challenge to Intel hence why they have a monopoly

TimeLass

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah i have been waiting for the released of smartphones that are powered by Intel's CPU for a long time and finally here it is...! i believe they will improve a lot in future as time goes on...

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
We should all want Intel to succeed in this market. Anytime we get these companies innovating, pushing the boundaries, and competing on price, we all win as consumers. ARM vs. Intel vs. nVidia vs. AMD = WIN.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]errr what? the last thing we need is intel dominating another market. At some point we do need to move away from x86 as Intel pretty much hold all the cards for it and refuses to licence it anymore. I'm pretty sure AMD and VIA are the only ones that have one, neither of which have the money or resources to present a challenge to Intel hence why they have a monopoly[/citation]

Intel has pushed out a product that is currently the best thing in the X86 market. AMD had pushed Intel, and Intel responded with a CPU that currently is more than enough for 90% of the people. Im more than happy to have Intel come into more markets, and attempt to push everyone to improve, even themselves.

drakefyre

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
[citation][nom]irish_adam[/nom]errr what? the last thing we need is intel dominating another market. At some point we do need to move away from x86 as Intel pretty much hold all the cards for it and refuses to licence it anymore. I'm pretty sure AMD and VIA are the only ones that have one, neither of which have the money or resources to present a challenge to Intel hence why they have a monopoly[/citation]
As long as there is competition, the consumer will benefit. Even if Intel does put out a better product I'm very confident that there will be very strong competition for quite a while.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Intel is always trying to do too many things with Atom, and always failing trying to do them.

Trying to go all the way from cell phones to low power PCs, with tablets along the way has rendered the processor inferior in many scenarios.

ARM derivatives still show big advantages in very low power devices, and AMD's Bobcat/Jaguar destroy Atom in performance, and with their lower power use and better performance than Bobcat, Jaguar will be much more attractive on tablets.

Atom seems best suited for applications below Bobcat, but above ARM. I'm just not sure anything is there in terms of a market.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Chris Angelini said:
I’m almost certain that, at some point in 2013, I’m going to happen upon the tablet I consider to be perfect for everything I do.

Does this mean you expect to play World of Warcraft on a tablet by the end of the year? :D

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Marcus52[/nom]
Chris Angelini said:
I’m almost certain that, at some point in 2013, I’m going to happen upon the tablet I consider to be perfect for everything I do.
Does this mean you expect to play World of Warcraft on a tablet by the end of the year?[/citation]
He'll find the cure for WoW addiction

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Sorry Intel, No x86 phone for me until windows phone in x86.

and why dual core so early when the biggest problem in Atom is not performance but power consumption?

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]sanilmahambre[/nom]Atom is going head on with Temash! But in graphics it is a one sided match[/citation]The GPU in Temash/Kabini beating Atom is a no brainer. But what is impressive to me is how big of a leap Jaguar is over Bobcat, especially at the same or lower thermal targets.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Atom Z2460 in Motorola RAZR I uses less power than the ARM equivalent RAZR M.

So how that makes it a power hungry 5-6W chip is beyond me. Oh wait, I do. People are BIASED.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I don't care WHO makes the chip in my phone so long as its the BEST.
Intel, ARM based, Nvidia, heck AMD could join in the fun for all I care.
Just give me something fast, powerful, and has good battery life.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Glad to see Tom's cover CT+, they completely ignored Medfield for months.

[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]The GPU in Temash/Kabini beating Atom is a no brainer. But what is impressive to me is how big of a leap Jaguar is over Bobcat, especially at the same or lower thermal targets.[/citation]
Don't be so sure about Bay Trail. Though if Jaguar's got a common address space (like the PS4's spec suggests), I'm not sure Intel will be able to stand up to that, unless of course that GT3e stuff happens to make its way down to Bay Trail.
[citation][nom]tomfreak[/nom]Sorry Intel, No x86 phone for me until windows phone in x86.and why dual core so early when the biggest problem in Atom is not performance but power consumption?[/citation]
No, it's graphics, which they've addressed with CT+. It's also the way the phones handle heat dissipation, i tested the Xolo X900, it would get HOT, and no, not in a nice way. Power consumption will drop by a large margin when the next gen Atoms appear (overhauled micro-architecture, smaller manufacturing process, Intel's own GPU, and hopefully Intel's own modem too-the current one is on a 40nm process).

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
[citation][nom]realibrad[/nom]Intel has pushed out a product that is currently the best thing in the X86 market. AMD had pushed Intel, and Intel responded with a CPU that currently is more than enough for 90% of the people. Im more than happy to have Intel come into more markets, and attempt to push everyone to improve, even themselves.[/citation]

Even if you ignore the fact that Intel were fined for illegal business practices that helped force AMD out of the market, they have the money, staff and the manufacturing technology that surpasses pretty much every competitor. If you think Intel are pushing themselves then u must be blind, 5-10% improvements on each generation? yeah great.

The only thing ARM cores have over x86 cores is power efficiency, lets face it if you take that out of the equation then ARM is dead. With Intel moving to smaller and smaller manufacturing processes, power consumption is going to drop and fairly fast too. When this happens ARM will not be able to compete and where will your competition be then? ARM will end up like AMD, broke!

Status
Not open for further replies.