Intel Coffee Lake Coming October 5, Here Are The Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

dE_logics

Reputable
Oct 16, 2015
Additional cores for mulitthreaded anti-virus scanning for today demanding anti-virus owning new impossible-to-defeat 'virus' threats.

InvalidError

Titan

I don't mind any product existing, as long as they don't outright alienate what the product line is supposed to be about (ex.: i5-7640X and i7-7740X, those two are irredeemable IMO) and is priced right. The 7800X and 1800X would be perfectly fine after pricing adjustments and I do expect AMD to review its MSRPs in response to Coffee Lake.

I'd like to see Intel have a pricing response of its own even if only to align older products with their standing against Coffee Lake but I won't be holding my breath on Intel having to sanity-check its pricing until Ryzen 2 turns up the heat some more.

The implication is that most users are running single (or at best dual) threaded apps/games so these new multi-core CPUs will offer no performance advantage whatsoever for 99+% of users in day to day PC tasks: i.e. "FINALLY we can undertake a virus scan while playing a game without a performance hit! w00t!". He's probably not really that far from the truth, tbh.

looks like i will finally be upgrading my 2600k. that 1400 cinebench r15 score is crazy high. ryzen will need to drop in price to keep up on the multi. but that 210 single core score is more than 30% faster than ryzen.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
6 cores on a ring bus running 4.3 (4.1 all core) turbo. I expect this to crush games at silky smooth frame variance with my 1080 ti. Very much looking forward to the benchmarks Tom's!
Glad to see the price is $257. I was expecting around $285.

artk2219

Distinguished
Damn its nice to be reminded of the days when new CPU's would actually come out and there would be price drops and actual new products. Things haven't been this exciting since at least the Phenom II / nehalem era, ending roughly at Sandy Bridge.

Xeres Forteen

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
My machine is a i7-3770k built in 2012. Intel's upgrades year to year seem underwhelming but the cumulative upgrade from a 3770k to a 8700k plus the additional cores makes this seem worthwhile.

InvalidError

Titan

Intel has been launching new "incompatible" chipsets for every other CPU generation ever since Intel got in the VLSI chipset business around 20 years ago. Nothing new there and I don't expect it to change any time soon. It may even get worse if Intel decides to integrate the remaining chipset functions into the CPU or the CPU package.

These new Coffee-Lake CPUs...

We are given a 25% boost in performance over Kaby-Lake... or so Intel says... We shall have to see as they only state one game with that performance boost. We assume Gears Of War hasn't been modded either for Coffee-Lake. (Nothing says it has been though.) I'll hold judgement on if it lives up to its claims once the independent reviews start rolling in.

These new chips still don't invalidate anything that came before them and are still in production from either camp, especially if price adjustments take place.

But that's not till 2019 which will see new releases from Intel as well.

They are stating 12nm LP Ryzen/Vega for 2018 but I wonder if that's a true 12nm or just a rebadged 14nm LPP?

Likewise ... But Intel has promised this before and we really haven't seen anything more than low single digit increases since Sandy bridge. Until I see the numbers across a wide range of titles, I'm expecting just another yawn. As for AMD turning ut the heat ... haven't seen that yet, at least not in gaming segment. Ryzen does many things well ... but gaming isn't one of them. In not a single instance has it outperformed competing Intel chip,

AMD Ryzen 3 1200 3.1 GHz - "Gaming performance doesn't match up to competing Intel parts"
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_3_1200/21.html

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X 3.4 GHz - "Gaming performance slightly behind Intel chips"
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_3_1300X/21.html

AMD Ryzen 5 1400 3.2 GHz - "Gaming performance in the league of cheaper Core i3 dual-core parts"
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1400/21.html

AMD Ryzen 5 1500X 3.5 GHz - Gaming frame-rates lower than competing Intel chips
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1500X/20.html

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz - "Gaming frame rates lower than competing Intel chips"
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600/21.html

AMD Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6 GHz - "Gaming frame rates lower than competing Intel chips"
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1600X/20.html

And with no IGP, every gamer's ideal setup (current or wish list) includes that 2nd monitor for monitoring utilities, discord, game sites, maps, walkthrus, etc. is gimped a bit

Now for the gamer / youtube guy unwilling to invest in a $400 Intel CPU, Ryzen has a nice niche but Intel still holds a significant edge at $400 and $1000 price points for video editing

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=42852&width=649
https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=43232&width=649

It's nice to see Ryzen "get noticed" and find a few niches to excel ... but the reality hasn't lived up to the hype, certainly not in the gaming arena.

artk2219

Distinguished

I would imagine so, and it wouldn't surprise me if they go to a 2 core / 4 thread format and take the place of the i3. That being said, I would avoid going with z270 and by association Kaby and Sky Lake based chips at this point, and go with z370 instead, mostly due to Intels pointless decision to not allow coffee lake chips on z270. There is also AMD's AM4, they also have new APU's coming out in a few months, or you could get a current APU or Athlon 950 to tide you over until you upgrade to something more powerful in the future.

Z370 is exclusively Coffee Lake. so, as much as you recommend not going with Z270, if one decides Kaby is good enough, they can't use 370.

poopflinger

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
This honestly feels like the first justifiable upgrade since my 5 year-old 3770k that's still going strong (overclocked to 4.5Ghz, though). The 1080ti I recently installed is finally causing my system to show a little age. CPU usage has gone up significantly, but the frames are still excellent. If the 8700k can edge out the 7700k in gaming, then it should be pc-game-streamers' dream CPU. I'll wait for the always-impressive review from this site, however.

artk2219

Distinguished

You are correct, and thats what I meant, I've edited my comment for clarity. At this point if I were to build with a long view I would avoid Kaby and Sky lake entirely and just wait for something appealing from Coffee Lake, or go with AM4. If you dont care about the long view then by all means, go for Z270 with Kaby or Skylake.

InvalidError

Titan

What matters is the bottom line and where sales are concerned, AMD is currently outselling Intel regardless of AMD's performance deficit in games. Having the fastest gaming CPU does you no good if most people choose to go with the company that offers much better performance per dollar.

Were it not for Ryzen turning up the heat, Coffee Lake would likely have ended up with 30-50% price markups compared to the 7000 series instead of 5-10%. It remains to be seen if Intel adding two cores across most of its lineup will be enough to maintain its current price points or if Ryzen will force Intel to drop prices to halt its market share losses. I suspect AMD will lower the MSRP of most of the Ryzen lineup by $25-50 after Coffee Lake launches to maintain its lead on performance per dollar.

I've got an i7-3770K (at 4.5GHz), and while the i7-8700K will give higher FPS, we're also transitioning to DX12/Vulkan which may or may not benefit much from more than an i7-3770K anyway...

By that I mean most of my games don't use more than 50% of my CPU's processing power, even though I might be bottlenecked by a single core (main game code thread). Games in the near future will be more threaded and allow close to 100% in some cases, as well as being more EFFICIENT (draw calls etc)...

So let's assume I use 60% for a demanding game NOW (with CPU bottleneck still), and later could use 100% while only needing 80% of the CPU cycles...

That gives me 2x the processing power!! (though I'm sure some games will use most of what an i7-8700K can produce if they program for it, similar to Ashes of the Benchmark.)

grozzie

Reputable
Feb 26, 2014
Not another chipset/socket type! Come on Intel when are you going to stop this money grabbing farce. I've just built a Rayzen based PC in the knowledge that it's socket type won't change for a few years. AMD have you on the back foot and bringing out new chipsets/CPU's is not going to win you any fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.