Intel Completes Mobileye Purchase Offer, Aims To Become Important Player In ADAS Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
We may also see some other ARM-based competitors emerge in this market in the next few years.
Nvidia's SoCs employ ARM-based CPU cores. Both stock ARM designs and their own custom cores.

And I doubt we'll see anyone using ARM's Mali GPUs, for this. In fact, with all the activity around machine learning ASICs, Nvidia might be the last to use a general-purpose GPU, here.

All this hype about ADAS is just speculation.
You constantly hear reports in the news about how close we are to mainstream autonomous vehicles.
I think it's at least 10 years away. Governments and insurance companies are very wary of new technologies and governments are usually way behind when it comes to properly scoping out the issues with new technologies. Just look at all the distracting gadgets that have proliferated over the last decade and virtually no government regulations to address them.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Agreed, but assistants like lane-keeping, collision warning, and nighttime obstacle detection are becoming more common. Those still require much of the compute power of fully-autonomous driving.

Very good point. Autonomous driving features are very powerful buying incentives and the city of Ottawa where I live is home to one of the companies right in the thick of it (Blackberry) with their QNX.

http://www.qnx.com/content/qnx/en/blackberry-qnx-autonomous-vehicle-innovation-centre.html

Status
Not open for further replies.