Intel Compute Stick With Bay Trail On Board Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a tempting device! I don't even have a TV to attach it to and I still want one!
One of these with win10, and a USB Ethernet adapter would make a sweet little HTPC device! Stream movies from the home server and online services. Stream games via Steam. This is just about perfect.

If only it came with win10, and had 4K video support. But then again that would be a whole different class of product.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Such a tempting device! I don't even have a TV to attach it to and I still want one!
One of these with win10, and a USB Ethernet adapter would make a sweet little HTPC device! Stream movies from the home server and online services. Stream games via Steam. This is just about perfect.

If only it came with win10, and had 4K video support. But then again that would be a whole different class of product.

That's the same thought I have as well. Throw Plex Home Theater, Steam, Retroarch and any other 'TV centric' apps on there and you have the perfect little HTPC device. The biggest question is how well it compares to the Android/Raspberry offerings in those regards.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
Lots of reviews went up today. Conclusions are all over the place, but the big complaint seems to be the WiFi/Bluetooth performance with a couple saying Intel will have a driver fix. People considering this might want to also consider:

USB Hub with a built-in Ethernet port
USB WiFi 802.11ac dongle
Wireless keyboard/mouse that is not Bluetooth

Shankovich

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010

Pretty sure this will run Win 10. Raspberry Pi 2 will after all, no reason this shouldn't.

Larry Brancato

Reputable
Apr 22, 2015
You can get an HP Stream 200 mini with windwos 8.1 2gb ram upgradeable, and a 32GB SSD upgradable with 4 USB plugs,1 hdmi plug, DVI plug, 1 Ethernet port, a mouse, and a keyboard all with a faster processor for $30 more. For what it is, the intel device is about $30 more than it should be.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Pretty sure this will run Win 10. Raspberry Pi 2 will after all, no reason this shouldn't.

Will people stop saying RPi 2 will run Win 10? Yes, it will, but who cares about an ARM build of Windows! It's just RT all over!

Sad about the Ubuntu version being crippled. I wouldn't want to buy this with Windows 8.1 but 1 GB of RAM is ludicrous, has anyone at Intel even used a browser on modern Linux? RAM-hungry just like under Windows. 1 GB is nowhere near enough. Then again, Windows 8.1 with Bing is free for OEMs, so maybe the extra $40 are paying for RAM and storage and not the OS.

TNT27

Distinguished
Just a question, is the atom on this thing capable of playing older games on decent settings? some games im intrested in knowning about are DIablo 2 LOD, Far Cry, COD:UO, Crysis, etc.

Would make a perfect lan party device for older games (as newer games hardly ever have LAN support)

just everyone brings their own tv or monitor and bam plug you little pocket device in and you got a lan game goin.

TNT27

Distinguished

yes the cpu part of it is capable of handling those older games, but Im talking the graphics on it, is it capable of playing them at decent settings?

Super_Nova

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
You can get an HP Stream 200 mini with windwos 8.1 2gb ram upgradeable, and a 32GB SSD upgradable with 4 USB plugs,1 hdmi plug, DVI plug, 1 Ethernet port, a mouse, and a keyboard all with a faster processor for $30 more. For what it is, the intel device is about $30 more than it should be.

It might be more powerfull but it is also a lot bigger and more powerhungry. This stick you plug into a HDMI port on your tv and you never know it's there while the HP can't be hidden that easily. It's another clutterbox. Besides most people will use this as a HTPC for which this thing is ideal.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

More power hungry; yes. But it is usually unimportant for devices that isn't a phone, tablet, or laptop.

With the clutterbox factor, once you consider having to get a hub and ethernet adapter the stick starts to become a clutter as well. Plus if you want any form of storage, you'll need to pick up a microSD card for it and/or preferably an external hard drive for media storage. As with the size of the HP device, it is still small enough to be able to easily tuck away along with game consoles on any media shelf or possibly behind the TV. The bonus of the HP device is that you can replace the mini SSD drive with a regular one (or laptop hard drive) via an adapter without increasing its footprint.

The biggest thing I had read against the Intel Stick is that there is only one usb port, flakey wifi unsuitable for streaming, and bluetooth that causes severe lag. I was looking at something like this for HTPC duties and possibly Steam streaming; but after the bad reviews I've been reading on it, I will have to pass. Maybe in a couple revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.