Intel Conducts Study to See If You Want Touchscreen Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
"using the touchcreen for tasks such as surfing the Web, watching online video, viewing and editing photos and adjusting the laptop's setting."

What.

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
This was of course the response when you put a "tablet-oriented" OS into the laptop form-factor, Windows 8 screams touch me anywhere you look at it after all.

I wouldn't mind a touchscreen (its a lot natural to browse with it) laptop as long as you can install a mouse and keyboard if you ever need it.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
As long as I can still plug in a usb mouse and have it work as it always has the the answer is HELL YEA!!!. Also the higher res screen that the guy above me is talking about is cool too. As long as neither of these update increase the price i'm all in.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
..then it only leads to enhanced tablet, after touchscreen added, they will studying again, were keyboard and mice/trackpad necessary to get eliminated. surely,, there is already device for browsing only, daily task only, with touchscreen.. that is tablet.

lp231

Splendid
Meh, us humans will get excited in the first few days and then stop using it.
It's like getting a brand new car, the first few days, you will clean, polish, or even check for dust like a monkey checking for fleas on his mates back.
As the days pass, the excitement dies down and you're brand new car is just another car on the road.

I have a hard enough time keeping my screen clean as it is. Much less putthing my rough greasy fingers on it.
How stupid can people be?
Without a protector (which dims and blurs the screen) the screen will soon become scratched and worn in areas.

atikkur

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
[citation][nom]aftcomet[/nom]Watching online video and adjusting a laptop's settings? Seriously? This requires a touchscreen?[/citation]

i think its always easier and more comfortable to get dedicated button if only to set laptop's setting (sound volume, display brightness, what's laptop's setting anyway?)

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
yes i need a touch laptop please if the screen can flip down. every since i saw my friend with his, taking notes. i really wanted one. i can record while taking notes and organize them better.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I dislike laptops for many reasons, but if they can include a touchscreen, they should go for it.

The problem is, if we have desktop users not using touchscreens (it's hard to wave your hands two feet away from your face for hours), and laptop users using touchscreens, and they both use the same OS, it's going to be a problem since you can't optimize both for touch and mouse+keyboard (tried Metro on desktop - horrible).

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
my thoughts the while watching the video

most people got for the touch because track pads blow, and they aren't given a mouse as an alternative.
more precise? tack pads suck...
most users are very VERY stupid... giveing them a tablet with reall hardware and a "real" os, and they still think because its form factor isnt what they are use to its lesser... give them a tablet case with a keyboard on it like the magnet one from the ipad and tell them to be happy with it

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
Originally that's the idea of ultra (portable) books and the EeeTransformer.
Even with touchscreen on laptops, most won't cost more than $800.

G

We want toutch laptops but WIN8? It's totally wrong. the desktop and iphone environments are totally different!!! Toutch w WIN7 slightly adjusted and complementary and/or synergistic to laptops/desktops!!!
AND 6&8 CORES FOR i7 ON HASWELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will work unlike the the GHz race if you keep the frequencies same for 4 core quads @ different price points for extra cores. AMD screwed up so why not give the people 8 cores w/o gfx or 4 cores w midrange gfx. The ENEMY is ARM!!!!!!!!! both for intel and AMD NEVER GIVE UP LAPTOPS, PDA's TO ARM or it will be a software compatibility disaster!

Medfield or up +WIN7 w toutch+total compatibility with PC&Laptop/"ultrabook"=flawless victory
!PACK THE PC AND THE SMARTPHONE TOGETHER smoothly and you all win!

I love touch on my netbook, and often find myself using touch and keyboard instead of keyboard and mouse. With a larger screen like a desktop I could see that not being the case, but with smaller screens it is oddly more natural to move from typing to prodding than typing to the track-pad.

That being said, I was not converted overnight. The first few days I found the touch capability to be mostly annoying an inaccurate, but after that I found it to be quicker and easier than moving to the track-pad, finding the mouse on the screen, scrolling over, and then clicking. Now it is just 'look', 'poke', 'done'. Still, for precision work, such as audio/photo editing (cant really do video editing on a netbook, so I am not sure what that experience would be like) a mouse is a definite necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS