News Intel Confirms Alder Lake & Raptor Lake Compatibility

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I certainly hope this is the case. When Intel came out with the socket 1200, people had the impression that older 400 series boards is good for 2 generations of CPU as well. As we now know, that is not true as not all the chipsets have the ability to support Rocket Lake due to some lame reason that Intel came out with like before.

I see this feature (ability to upgrade on same mainboard) as of limited utility for most folks; if your CPU is a candidate for 'needing yet another upgrading again' in but a year or less time, many might suspect it likely was 'not enough' when you purchased it. (I suppose onecould choose a mythical 12100 and then a 13700 a year later just to make such a 'plan' ...work)

JfromNucleon

Prominent
Oct 5, 2020
I certainly hope this is the case. When Intel came out with the socket 1200, people had the impression that older 400 series boards is good for 2 generations of CPU as well. As we now know, that is not true as not all the chipsets have the ability to support Rocket Lake due to some lame reason that Intel came out with like before.
Technically, all 400 series chipsets can support Rocket lake, just not all can support PCIe 4.0 but then again, I could be wrong