Intel Confirms Coffee Lake Box 'Leak' And Image Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only real question that remains is whether or not Intel was the victim of a mistimed page launch or acted as the engineer of its own hype train.

I'd have to put my money on the latter. Ryzen has slapped Intel up side the head and they're still working to recover. One way to recover is start the hype train, the other is to rush job changes to be competitive. Both can backfire, as the HEDT offerings from Intel have shown us, fail to impress with high heat and insignificant speed improvements over previous generations and as compared to Ryzen. Intel needs Coffee Lake to keep the enthusiast crowd that aren't fan-boys buying.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
My motherboard cost $250 CAD, and like many I'm not looking to buy another one. Disappointed, I guess I'll wait for the next one after coffee lake.

thrakazog

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
I'm not sure hype will be enough to help Intel. For me personally, the only way I would even consider Coffee Lake at the moment, is if they announce the mobo for it will also support Cannon and Ice Lake (when they are released). I doubt that will be the case, so I'll most likely go with Ryzen for my new build.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
Intel doesn't care. Ryzen is a turkey and I am still laughing at all those that put any kind of funds into it. I dare you to get it so I can frag your @zz in pvp.

kalmquist

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
@ AlistairAB - That's one of the reasons I'm excited that AMD is back in the game. They try to maintain socket compatibility. With Intel, you have to replace your motherboard pretty much every time you upgrade your CPU.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I'm posting this so I can access the proper uk forum editing site via Followed Threads; come on toms, please fix the forums.

Kenny, if Intel didn't care they wouldn't have slashed their prices, lied in attrocious PR, released an overheating chip or produced the entire farm of turkeys that is X299.

brainwafer

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
imo its a waste to not buy a mobo each time, who the hell upgrades their cpu often enuf to not warrant a new platform, if you have to rely on an outdated socket for an upgrade within 5 years of purchasing your setup i pity you and the amount of research and thought put into your builds.. only time i will ever upgrade a cpu in the same socket is when i can get a dirt cheap xeon that was once worth 1000+ and slap it into my 6-7 year old intel mobo for a user price of 200$ and get another 5 yrs out of it...all you amd fanboys better give your head a shake if you think your not getting the same old amd wool pulled over your eyes.. history has and will repeat itself, just like releasing what they called an 8 core cpu with the fx , which shared an fpu for each module essentially making there 8 core = to 4 intel cores..and im not even gonna get into the vega fiasco .. hope your glad you waited for your precious vega which sure wasn't a gtx killer ... nvidia is laughing , they don't even need to respond with a new series of cards... way to bring us technology that already exist amd.. "slow clap"

candle_86

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
No some of us will use the same board for later generation CPU's, back in 2006 I bought an M2N-SLI Deluxe, when Phenom arrived I replaced my X2 3800 with an x4 9650, and then later bought an x3 720BE then an X4 965 all for that board. And that was an AM2 board running a Phenom II. So yes upgradeability works, why do you need a new platform for a cpu upgrade, a new platform only makes sense if your upgrading things that rely on it.

I use x58 now and honestly my SATA SSD just fine with SATA II, I don't have a need to replace my 240 Samsung 840 Evo for an M.2, my hard drives for mass storage are all 5400RPM so honestly SATA 1.5 would take care of them without an issue, PCIe 2 doesn't bottleneck my GTX 950 or even a GTX 980 Ti i had but was overkill for my use. So it really comes down to you only need to upgrade your platform if your upgrading something else as well that needs the new platform. So good on AMD and shame on Intel.

bloodroses

Distinguished
I'm sorry, but I don't see the socket compatibility being a major advantage for AMD. Most enthusiasts, but not all, usually replace their motherboard anyways when they upgrade and reuse the old hardware for other things. This doesn't even include the 90% of the market that doesn't even know what a socket is in a motherboard....

AMD's biggest selling point is still bang for the buck and a temporary core advantage. The second we will see change as Intel continues to respond. The first won't change as long as AMD can't beat Intel on a per core basis.

At least AMD's CPUs are at least competitive now as their Vega GPUs appear to be disappointing at the very least. :(

lsatenstein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2012
What I like about my coming (Sept 15th) purchase of my 1700 system system is the standardized mother board. I can put in anything from an 1800x or a 1600 in the mother board.
On the downside, it would be great to have had a default video card recommendation. I do not do gaming and don't need a video card costing what the cpu costs.

And Canadian prices, tax in are 1.5 times the American listed prices.

If you want the newest, you'd want a RX-550 or GTX1030. However, for several years the GT-210 has been the defacto go-to card in business where an iGPU wasn't used/accepted/available. Of course the oldest card you can use will be determined by the OS support too.

Status
Not open for further replies.