Intel Confirms Internet TV Service, Set-Top Box

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I have said it once, then I will say it 1000 times: If I am paying good money for a subscription service then I want absolutely 0 commercials. Take my money, and fund the shows that I actuially watch, and then cancel the crap that I pay for but will never watch in a million years!

This is why I don't have cable, and this is why I will not do Hulu+. Almost every show that I want to watch can be viewed online for free (with commercials, which I don't mind as it is free, I mean they have to pay for it somehow), or on Netflix, or via a rental or purchase of DVD or BluRay. All perfectly legal, all with no or extremely limited commercials, and all much MUCH cheaper than any cable style subscription service.

I love Intel... but this is not the direction TV viewing is moving. It is sad that they do not see this.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
"sport a camera that can detect who is in front of the TV"

So I can mount a photo of My Grandparents in front of the camera and then only commercials for Adult diapers and the Hoveround will show up ?

Seriously, if Intel thinks people will accept a camera looking into their living rooms checking on who is there (and possible doing something nasty) Their Management is farther removed from reality than the average reality TV show.

Not a freaking chance that I allow some cam check on what is going on in my house unless I am behind the eye piece.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]If I have said it once, then I will say it 1000 times: If I am paying good money for a subscription service then I want absolutely 0 commercials. Take my money, and fund the shows that I actuially watch, and then cancel the crap that I pay for but will never watch in a million years!This is why I don't have cable, and this is why I will not do Hulu+. Almost every show that I want to watch can be viewed online for free (with commercials, which I don't mind as it is free, I mean they have to pay for it somehow), or on Netflix, or via a rental or purchase of DVD or BluRay. All perfectly legal, all with no or extremely limited commercials, and all much MUCH cheaper than any cable style subscription service.I love Intel... but this is not the direction TV viewing is moving. It is sad that they do not see this.[/citation]

It's amazing how many people have completely forgotten that advertisements are supposed to completely pay the bill. Hell, people today will actively argue against providers giving away free content. It's crazy.

If you paid to watch something, then you shouldn't see a single ad. If you are seeing ads, the content you're consuming should be free.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The use of these devices is illegal in some states due to the camera. If the device is retransmitting or recording the video of who is in the room without the explicit consent of everyone being recorded, then whoever is operating the device is potentially breaking the law. Is the operator the homeowner, the person who installed the device, the person who turned it on, Intel, or someone else? In any case, this will create some funny lawsuits.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]It's amazing how many people have completely forgotten that advertisements are supposed to completely pay the bill. Hell, people today will actively argue against providers giving away free content. It's crazy. If you paid to watch something, then you shouldn't see a single ad. If you are seeing ads, the content you're consuming should be free.[/citation]

This is why I don't buy DVD's or go to movies anymore. No 25 minutes of "you cannot skip" previews...

Thank you Netflix for giving me what I want, when I want it. When you pay for content, you should get exactly what you pay for, not what you want with a shovel of propaganda and a side of crap. Too many people are happy taking whatever they can get and don't care though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS