Intel Confirms 'Larrabee' First Half 2010; No Delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Any have any thoughts (or better yet, facts) about the average price Larrabee's gonna be at in 2011-ish? I mean like, is it high end like Intel SSD's (way over-priced) or will it be around the same price as the GTX/48XX's right now?

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Now the real question comes to price. If it will be more expensive and harder to integrate with existing apps, will it catch on with the integrated market. My guess is that for the market Intel is going for, cost effectiveness is key.

slickuser

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
>> harder to integrate with existing apps

I believe it will support openGL & DirectX. you can search on google for this.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Evil ranking of organizations and groups in America:

PURE EVIL = Apple
PURE EVIL = Scientology
PURE EVIL = Monsanto
SIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = Intel
SIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = GOP
SIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = Philip Morris
PATHETIC AND EVIL = Halliburton
PATHETIC AND EVIL = Fox News
PATHETIC AND EVIL = Comcast
EVIL = Microsoft
EVIL = AT&T
EVIL = Bank of America
ALMOST EVIL = Sony
ALMOST EVIL = NCAA
ALMOST EVIL = NRA

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
[citation][nom]slickuser[/nom]>> harder to integrate with existing appsI believe it will support openGL & DirectX. you can search on google for this.[/citation]
But unlike modern GPUs that have the commands stored on the chip, the lazybee will need a library to translate regular x86 into DirectX/OpenGL commands. Mad overhead if you ask me.

[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Evil ranking of organizations and groups in America:pURE EVIL = ApplePURE EVIL = ScientologyPURE EVIL = MonsantoSIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = IntelSIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = GOPSIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = Philip MorrisPATHETIC AND EVIL = HalliburtonPATHETIC AND EVIL = Fox NewsPATHETIC AND EVIL = ComcastEVIL = MicrosoftEVIL = AT&TEVIL = Bank of AmericaALMOST EVIL = SonyALMOST EVIL = NCAA ALMOST EVIL = NRA[/citation]
Dude! That deserves an award. Brilliant!

crisisavatar

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I will be building my new system around this timeframe, bad news is that things like this will have me waiting for a couple of more months for better hardware.

Btw I think that unless Intel lunches this first generation of GPUs at a low price is not going to be accepted too well.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
We've been hearing 'news' itendical to this for months now. Infact, if it wasnt for my laziness, I'm certain I could go back through the toms archive and find an article that says every bit of this, including the part about intel delays.

Just stop until we actually have news to report. Please.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I don't think Larrabee will do so well. The article states that most people just buy Intel GPUs cause they're cheap and already on the motherboard. In fact, most poeple who have an Intel GPU probably just bought an off-the-shelf computer and don't even know what a GPU is (anyone actual CHOOSE to purchase an Intel GPU over an NVIDIA or ATI when going on-board?).

Intel is going to now have to convince people that the GPU is in fact worth extra money and space in the computer. The only way to do that is performance/price, and they haven't shown any evidence yet that they can compete in that market.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I'm interested in using vector texures in games, rather than inefficient raster ones, I'm wonder if this would force a move towards something like that?

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Evil ranking of organizations and groups in America:pURE EVIL = ApplePURE EVIL = ScientologyPURE EVIL = MonsantoSIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = IntelSIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = GOPSIGNIFICANTLY EVIL = Philip MorrisPATHETIC AND EVIL = HalliburtonPATHETIC AND EVIL = Fox NewsPATHETIC AND EVIL = ComcastEVIL = MicrosoftEVIL = AT&TEVIL = Bank of AmericaALMOST EVIL = SonyALMOST EVIL = NCAA ALMOST EVIL = NRA[/citation]
This shit is totally biased. Try to generalize. Replace GOP with All Politicians, replace Fox News with all biased media, replace Comcast with Time Warner, remove Microsoft, replace Halliburton with War Profiteers, replace Scientology with all organized religion, Sony should be higher on the list, NRA should be removed too.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]I think Apple and micro$oft need to switch places. Maybe Apple could be more like almost evil.I say throw out the NCAA and put the NBA right at the top next to M$.[/citation]

I agree with you.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]I say throw out the NCAA and put the NBA right at the top next to M$.[/citation]
How about the NAACP and Feminism instead?

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
+1 for the Evil list.

[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]How about the NAACP and Feminism instead?[/citation]

Explain how the NAACP is evil?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]rdawise[/nom]Explain how the NAACP is evil?[/citation]
Explain how it's appropriate for minorities to plan for their advancement in society, but in appropriate for white males to do so.

The NAACP only further serves to separate Black America, Mexican America, etc from America.

And you want to end that statement with a period, not a question mark. It was a command not a question.

rdawise

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]Tindytim[/nom]Explain how it's appropriate for minorities to plan for their advancement in society, but in appropriate for white males to do so.The NAACP only further serves to separate Black America, Mexican America, etc from America.And you want to end that statement with a period, not a question mark. It was a command not a question.[/citation]

How is it inappropriate for white males to plan for advancement in society? Do you understand what the NAACP is or do you just know that minorities are invovled.

Further more, it's inappropriate no in appropriate. One word buddy...
How in the world did you try to correct me and make that mistake. Also, it wasn't a command, but a request hence the question mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.