News Intel Considering German Fab Near Munich

passivecool

Honorable
Jul 18, 2017
I dont understand this

A Grand Understatement.
I think you are not using your big chips. Just the little ones for typing.

But oh, wait, wasn't intel just spending 20bn for 2 fabs in Arizona? next to all those others?

What do you think all those german-made bmws, mercedes audis -- oh and soon teslas -- run on?
(hint: ford ran out)

Bug chips are also necessary for reading, apparently, but it seems opinionation runs on the small ones.

PS
I hope they DO build it somewhere else. It is nearly impossible to find an affordable place to live anywhere in bavaria anymore. The last thing anyone needs is a few more thousand overpaid chip architects competing in the real estate market.

FakeMike

Honorable
Jan 18, 2016
Why the hell would any government subsidize a company making billions in profit?! This is completely crazy. Have them build the factory with their own profits.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
And what if the chips are not intended for the US market? A global company needs to think globally.

You got me there! There's no way to transport a good from inside the United States to outside the United States. Especially chips that are produced here but get their final packaging in Costa Rica and Malaysia. No sir.

You got me there! There's no way to transport a good from inside the United States to outside the United States. Especially chips that are produced here but get their final packaging in Costa Rica and Malaysia. No sir.
There is a strong drive to reduce emissions created by shipping components around the world and the pressure to reduce these needless emissions is only going to grow over the next 10-20-30 years . Also Just In Time manufacturing working with your customers can be more efficient and is best when you are local to your customers. If Intel don’t grab the opportunity they leave it open to others to move in and be more competitive in the EU.

bignastyid

Titan
Unless there is some sort of global calamity, like lets say a pandemic, that shuts things down and makes shipping difficult, slow and very expensive.

After Covid and the shortages that have come from it many countries are looking at getting fab facilities built closer to home.

Co BIY

Splendid
$8 billion in subsidies goes a long ways.

Getting some production inside the EU system makes sense from a political diversification perspective.

I don't think the local auto production matters much from a logistics perspective (chips are an ideal good for shipping (incredibly small and light)). But it probably motivates the locals to bring the money bags to the table.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Unless there is some sort of global calamity, like lets say a pandemic, that shuts things down and makes shipping difficult, slow and very expensive.

After Covid and the shortages that have come from it many countries are looking at getting fab facilities built closer to home.
If the chips need to ship somewhere else for packaging. What difference does it make from a logistical standpoint if they are manufactured locally or not?

Jun 4, 2021
Intel is a transnational company, they don't have to build factories in the US, they build where it's most efficient.

and Germany is the most efficient? Germany Salaries are in the top 3 in Europe ... You are talking about 2000 euros per month minimum salary Janitor ! and engineers upto 4000 euros. and others between 2500 - 3500 euros per month . more over living in Germany is very expensive .. VERY EXPENSIVE

Last edited:
I dont understand this , people are jobless in USA and intel has 50 states to choose from , and yet they open in Germany ?
There's plenty of places in the United States that would love to have tens of thousands of high-paying jobs move into the area.
Intel is a transnational company, they don't have to build factories in the US, they build where it's most efficient.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/23/int...-to-build-two-new-chip-plants-in-arizona.html
Intel is spending $20 billion to build two new chip plants in Arizona

https://apnews.com/article/nm-state...s-technology-89139a8c82687d42902bad78184728c7
Intel will be investing $3.5 billion in its New Mexico plant

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
If the chips need to ship somewhere else for packaging. What difference does it make from a logistical standpoint if they are manufactured locally or not?
The shipping is irrelevant.
They would eventually need to be shipped somewhere, no matter where they were made.
The local workforce is what is in play here.

And these are not just consumer CPU chips.
All the chips in your car, tablet, TV, phone, remote control, etc, etc, etc. CPUs are everywhere.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The shipping is irrelevant.
They would eventually need to be shipped somewhere, no matter where they were made.
The local workforce is what is in play here.

And these are not just consumer CPU chips.
All the chips in your car, tablet, TV, phone, remote control, etc, etc, etc. CPUs are everywhere.
Agreed. Manufacturing locations aren't chosen to save on shipping. It was bignastyid arguing that the chips needed to be manufactured locally in case there were disruptions in the global shipping, not me.