Intel copied us, says head of AMD

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

metrazol

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
None of this will matter in two decades. The low cost of producing all the CPU power an individual could need is going to make CPUs something you buy at the checkout counter along with razor blades and bubble gum.

I can see Intel becoming a major sensor/aerospace/biotech player when they find that burning silicon is about as profitable and cutting edge as making clock radios.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

I don't totally agree with that entire statement.

sailer

Splendid

Bringing up Baron makes me wonder. Since I haven't seen Baron for a few days now, is Thunderman really Baron in disguise? Of course, perhaps Baron has been around and I just have missed him. Don't know.

its not baron... baron couldnt keep him self from supporting his alter ego this long.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
For the subjectivity of cars, I believe there is only one fact:
The Dodge Neon is the best car of them all. Just look at its... greatness

sailer

Splendid

I'd really rather not. :kaola: I need to preserve my eyes.

Stoppemfloppen

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I've been an AMD user since the first XP processors came out. I am still using an XP2800 but, along with my platform (nforce2) it is well out of date and I will be upgrading this year. Still, it served me well and I was happy with it.

However, it is looking like my upgrade path will be Intel. AMD's new phenom processor is outclassed in pretty much every discipline and the only reason I can see for buying into it is that it is a relatively cheap upgrade path. Performance wise there is no contest - Intel wins.

As far as I'm concerned AMD have lost significant ground to Intel and none of their current processors can hold a candle to their Intel equivalents. If AMD have anything to moan about it should be their inability to make the most of their 'innovations', and not snipe at their competitor for doing better than they are.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

You can pick the processor better suited and it not work, multiple times, without rhyme or reason as to why more than one fails. Across multiple boards of the same, and on occasion different, kinds.

I stick by my statement.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
We got all our current civilization's technology from studying the frozen body of MEGATRON! Didn't you guys see the documentary that was TRANSFORMERS? I'd take Michael Bay's words over some dude named sharikou or stemnin any day!

Sector 7, a secret United States government organization, discovered the All Spark and built the Hoover Dam around it to mask the energy emitted by the Cube. The still-frozen Megatron was moved into this facility, and was reverse engineered to further advance human technology.

Clearly Intel and AMD stole the Transformer's tech.

Alas, some people dont know how to multiply, which by definition is just slightly more complex addition.

i stick by my statement.

Wow. some moronic statements on this post. Bring out the trolls.....

Via, Intel and Amd are about the ONLY ones making X86 cpus. Via (a 486 type cpu) is NOT even HALF the performance of any x86 on the market. It's a "niche" cpu for small devices and low power.
IBM, Motorola, etc are RISC cpus, NOT CISC (x86) cpus, so there is NO competition. They will NOT enter and try to get a LOW-END x86 cpus, they will stick with their RISC server cpus where they make plenty of money. There is NO other x86 cpu company, just Intel and AMD. Gees, learn your history.

We were discussing the possibility's of another major chip company (IBM, Motorola, etc...) buying out AMD, if AMD ever went under. Gees learn to read.

On another note, doesn't AMD already license a lot of tech from IBM?

crimsonfilms

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
It is idiotic to think that if AMD or Intel did not exist that another company would not come up and take that role. WTF? Others will just sit there and ignore the demand? Right....

Anyways it is purely theoretical and pointless.

Second, Hector should just really shut up and spend more time making better CPUs.

BTW Hector - 1971 called - they want their memory controller back.

Shadow_Monkey8192

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007

You know they just revised the GDP for china and it turns out china is about 40% smaller, does not seem like a good year for china anyway...

There are always gona be those that act like little immature kids on the forum...

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
germans stole asprin from the indians willow tree!

we stole machines from the romans!

what about starbucks stealing how to sell coffee from the Italians?

and olive garden stole italian food

then there is americans stealing all the food of the world - chinese take out - we stole shrimp an peapods and pork fried rice. what about fast food nochos - stolen from the mexicans

spain stole all the gold from south America!

america stole the usa from the british!

intel stole c2d from amd........wow

What in the world were you trying to say there?

Don't forget the first on die L3 cache that didn't come with a bug. Came out in several different CPUs most noted the P4EE and the Itanium back in 2003. Also the IMC was originaly developed by Intel but not seen as beneficial at the time as the FSB is obviously able to keep up. Lets not forget their push of SATA which is now the standard for harddrives and becoming the standard for DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-Ray drives and now WiMax.

Hector is just trying to turn the focus off of their failed launch off Barcy/Phenom and onto Intel. Now in a way we can state that AMD copied Intels first and probably one of the most important innovations of all time really. The first x86 microprocessor. Where as the IMC can't hold a candle to that.

At least thunderman helps us pay the day without Baron to listen to praise AMD. Only difference is Baron doesn't act like a idiot trapped in 2005. BTW AMDs own website still promotes Lucas films as using their CPUs for the second Star Wars trilogy. Maybe thunderman is just Hector or maybe AMD is still stuck back in 2005......

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Lol, you must be an Intel shill sent here to instigate hate towards AMD.

Some facts. Not for you, Im sure you already know this, but for the few folks who just bought a new computer and have logged on to the Internet for the first time today, and thus havent been warned about sharikou yet:

*Sharikou is in fact reputable. He does have a reputation...his reputation is that of "galactic moron"
(While this is the kind of "personal attack" I would normally delete, since shariboobookitty was long ago banned from THG for violations of TOS, and prior to his banning he was a bold face liar whos posts were actually potentially dangerous, he rates zero protection, and anyone is free to say whatever they want about that liar, as far as Im concerned)
*Sharikou is not only not an "expert", but he is not even a PHD...meaing his screen name, like much of what he writes, is a lie...meant to mislead.
*Sharikou hates Intel
*Sharikou was an Intel employee.
*Sharkou was fired from Intel. (Hmmm...can anyone say "bitter")
*Sharikou, when he did work for Intel, was a low level employee
*Sharikou's predictions have all proven to be false, requiring him to readjust them to save face and minimize his international humiliation.
*Sharikous grasp of anything computer related has been continually proven to be inaccurate since the moment he began posting to this very moment, and will continue to be proven inaccurate and long as he continues to write publically.
*Sharikou has been banned from most if not all major internet tech sites/forums due to his unethical, uninformed, unintelligent posting/habits

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry but I couldn't help but laugh at that. Now if you pay a premium yes you can get a SRT/4 but thats roughly what 24-26k? I would rather go for a SVT though as they seem to do better.

kellytm3

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007

I dont get a check from Intel...I just dont care for AMD's inferior products

G

I LOL'd :D

Just had a quick look at the site, Sharikou sounds like a total tool, I don't know how anyone would take him seriously.