thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
AMD are deserving of the top spot and are being robbed. Intel copy and cheat

Articles:
http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/601749/intel-copied-us-says-head-of-amd.html

http://archive.gulfnews.com/articles/07/12/01/10171434.html

Quotes from the Article
AMD's CEO, Hector Ruiz, says that all the all the major recent innovations have come from AMD, while Intel is ‘trying to catch up’

Talking to Gulf News, Ruiz said that ‘If you look at the last five years, if you look at what major innovations have occurred in computing technology, every single one of them came from AMD. Not a single innovation came from Intel

Meanwhile, Intel’s forthcoming Nehalem architecture promises an integrated memory controller, which AMD has had since 2003

Intel are Evil!

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Hey Thunder... have ya brought a phenom system yet? :heink: . o O (I suppose I'll never get an answer)

You know, I'm kinda sick of all the flame threads coming up. Wish people would just buy what ever trips their trigger, rather then triggering flaming threads. Whats the point of these types of threads??

Intel might have started the whole silicon microprocessor thing in the early days of computing, but AMD’s chief, Hector Ruiz, reckons that AMD’s been responsible for all the recent innovations in the chip industry.

:lol:. o O (Intel might have?)

No... they did start the whole silicon microprocessor.... thang.. :lol:

Why whine about these things... I mean.. Okay.. Intel has a better product out there (because they got innovated), Sooo this whining thing isn't exactly innovating anything from AMD now... Sounds more like, "Aack... we had a good product and now Intel has something better that we have to top? I know, we will lie that our new latest product will be better... lets say.. 40% better."

Gah... Companies.. Can't be happy with them or without them. :lol:

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
How many threads have you started being anti Intel?

Everyone has their opinions of who is better and why. Everyone is accepting that people are not all going to like the same company. But I think everyone can say that they don’t like people pushing one thing or feeding us utter bull crap.

Please stop.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007

Yeah, he got it from the same store Baron got his QFX. :bounce:

Oh... ok... I promisd to lay off Baron. Sorry dude! Love ya! Let's do lunch! Have your people call my people! Ciao! :pt1cable:

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
AMD's management is like a crying kid who's cried wolf. Almost none of AMD's current or past product is "innovative", per se. AMD copied most of its technologies from other companies. I agree that both Torrenza and Fusion might be considered innovations, but none of current AMD's product is innovative.

EDIT: Actually, Torrenza is just an initiative that utilize AMD's current system architecture. Intel already attempted Fusion-like product back in 2000. Therefore, both of them shouldn't be considered "innovations".

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
To innovate is to come up with something new. Sure AMD came up with some new stuff, but Intel seems to have perfected the innovations.

In the business world, its not always good to be first. Intel seems to be allowing AMD to guinea-pig all the new ideas, then Intel simply builds on those ideas that work well.

If it were not for the group splitting from Fairchild Intel would not exist.

Texas Instruments should have then been appropriately attributed with the design and manufacture of the first microprocessor.

I miss my old TI programmable ... and my slide rule.

I have a tear in my eye ...

onboard memory controller ... innovative.
Server cpu scaling (OMC) ... innovative (still innovative for Barcelona).
64 bit ... innovative.
quad issue ... innovative (shift in focus from frequency to IPC).
Dual core ... innovative.
Quad core ... innovative.
first to a gigahertz ... innovative.
first to back to $5 a share ... not so innovative ... lol
no jingle ... not so innovative.
paper launch of phenom rushed to market with a bug ... not so innovative.
Marketing Department ... non-existent.

Meh - One could just as easily argue that Intel's engineers decided that certain ideas that AMD went ahead and ran with weren't quite ready for prime time. The obvious example: Some people like to sneer at 'Double Cheeseburgers', but they WORK better than the 'Native' quads from AMD, were faster/easier to deliver to the buying public, and also offered the side benefit of being flexible enough that some of the same equipment could be used for dual core or quad core stuff as the need of the day dictates.

To take an extension of that example to the extreme: Leonardo DaVinci "invented" lots of things, including a rolling, armored fortress armed with Cannons. Couldn't make it actually *work* tho... Hence no Medieval tanks.

Having the idea, and/or being first with it certainly has strong advantages. But at the end of the day, it's still got to work better than the other guys' stuff.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
"If you want to make a comptuer processor from scratch, you must first create the universe"

Damn I love putting things in perspective.

Ok now someone post a picture of an Abacus.

Stupid surf control at work won't let me... :kaola:

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
AMD have continued to make innovative technology, that has been good for the computer industry. Intel realize that they are behind in technical capabilities..so they take the quick route and copy AMD technologies.
Phenom is criticized..however Intel have made a direct copy with their Nehalem Quad processor. Intel know that they cannot be taken seriously if they continue to sell double Cheese burger quads.
Without AMD, computer technology will slowdown and Intel would have to think for themselves for a change.

Don't bite the hand that feeds! AMD are essential for CPU technology! Evil Intel!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007

*yawn*

I don't even want to try anymore.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I find it interesting you generalize ALL of 'CPU technology' to AMD and Intel.

IF AMD disappears (like it would, ... seriously - these guys know all sorts of routes to acquire cash), the resultant vacuum would be filled by another processor company.

Nature abhors a vacuum. - Francois Rabelas

I'm with you. I was chuckling out loud at work. His threads are improving, those articles are only a month old, not years! Baby steps!

My question: If AMD invented everything and Intel copied, why are Intel chips way faster? Why did Intel have a quad core over a year before AMD did?

I love that AMD is now going to do a MCM and Intel is now switching to monolithic. The irony!

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

Any that wish to.

Hell, who's to say some research lab doesn't suddenly spin off a company with some new method to make processors and explodes onto the market?

Think maturely, rather than reacting like that. Sheesh.

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

L2 cache ...
On Die L2 cache ...
Dual Core w/ shared L2 Cache ...
MMX ...
SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4
Dual Channel Memory ...
RDRAM - fast, but expensive
DDR2, DDR3 support
First to 130nm, 90nm, 65nm, 45nm
Double pumped Integer processing units...
Quad pumped FSB...
VLIW Itanium Big Box processors...
Hyperthreading tech...
Dual OS tech...
etc....

64-bit was a bit premature... No one who bought an Athlon 64 in 2003 ever ran a 64-bit stable OS with it... unless it was a linux box...
On-Die Memory controller... Both Intel and AMD had always been developing this, but Intel decided that is wasn't yet necessary... As Core 2 without on-die memory controller owns any Athlon with an on-die memory controller, seems Intel was right...

Think maturely?

It's rather naive to think that just any company that wishes will be able to make a product that could even beat the slower AMD processors, let alone compete with Intel.

It is my opinion that the only way for someone to enter the CPU market is to purchase AMD, I just don't see how it could be possible any other way. The amount of R&D that would go into creating a competitor to Intel would be equal to the GDP of several third world countries.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

thunderman didn't read the entire article me thinks..

Meanwhile, Intel’s forthcoming Nehalem architecture promises an integrated memory controller, which AMD has had since 2003, and Intel is also promising processors with integrated graphics, which AMD has already announced with its Fusion technology.

That said, 64-bit desktop computing has yet to become widespread, and Intel’s Core 2 Quad processors are dramatically outperforming AMD’s Phenom chips. AMD’s AMD64 architecture may have been ahead of its time, but Intel’s Core 2 has proved that you don’t necessarily need an integrated memory controller to make the fastest chip.

PS. Does he ever join in on a discussion? Or does he just make flame attracting threads as soon as he finds any anti Intel/pro AMD article (even if it's years old), he's like a forum bot (if not human) emulating Digg lol.

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006

So keeping the scope to just two companies, like rednecks arguing over a ford or chevy to see who gets their fat asses from A to B, no company would "buy" AMD if it goes bankrupt.

Any company worth their grain will have a product that doesn't necessarily have to compete - they just have to make something the consumers feel they not just want, but need and do it in a way that Intel can't.

The amount of R&D needed wouldn't have to exceed even Uzbekistans GDP (55.75 billion (2006 est.)). At any rate, what VC wouldn't want to invest in the next big thing, if they felt there was really something to it? Thats' how Nvidia ultimately dominated - they produced a product that consumers felt they needed.