intel core 2 duo running WAAAAY too hot??

jdaniel 125

Honorable
Jul 14, 2015
ive noticed that my custom built PC has been running slow lately, so i downloaded a program called realtemp to look at the CPU temperatures, and guess what? the processor idles at around 180-205 degrees, its insane! i'm not doing any overclocking or anything!

could it be the CPU cooler? im using the stock intel CPU cooler, and ive heard people say that the cooler is crap. i dont know why the CPU gets such high temps, maybe its the thermal paste? i even checked the H/W monitor in the bios, and it still shows around 180-205 degrees.

if it helps, here are my specs

mobo: MSI MS-7267 ver 4.2
CPU: intel core 2 duo e4700
GPU: GIGABYTE geforce 210 1 GB DDR3
RAM: 4 GB DDR2
HDD: 160 GB IDE

luckily, im getting new parts for christmas, im getting a 320 GB SATA hard drive, a new PC case, a good case fan, thermal paste, and an intel core 2 duo e8400.

Solution
I FIXED IT!

i re-applied the thermal paste, and when i put the CPU cooler back on, it didnt seem tight enough, so i pushed the fan in VERY hard, then i heard a loud pop sound and i felt the CPU fan go in all the way and lock into place, the core 2 duo now runs at a stable 50-60 C
if the temp is that high, then its a faulty sensor. Do re-apply thermal paste as it doesnt last forever anyway, re-mount the heatsink and check the fan is operating. If it really was 180C then you would smell burning, the machine would not be operating. Faulty temp sensor, cpu replacement needed to fix. This will cause throttling. You might be able to turn off thermal throttling in bios. hwmonitor should show an overall temp, and a per core temp.

meaga1n

Reputable
Dec 22, 2015
My E4400 / E6550 machines get nowhere near that on stock cooler. You must have a faulty thermal sensor.
Core 2 Duos are really cheap now. You could probably get a much better CPU for not much more. E8600 comes to mind.
Here in the UK the E8400 is around £10 and the E8600 around £14 so the E8600 is £4 more for 500 more passmark points.
Can your board take core 2 quads? Have you thought about the xeon socket mod?

Geekwad

Admirable
An SSD for your operating system would give you a positively huge improvement in the responsiveness in the system.

A 120Gb one is all that's needed, and for $40 and a fresh install of your OS, it would feel like a totally different machine.

jdaniel 125

Honorable
Jul 14, 2015

i already fixed the overheating issue, turns out that the CPU fan was loose, but if i get an SSD, i dont have to re-install the OS since i can just clone the OS to the SSD

Geekwad

Admirable

Sure you could clone, but in my experience the clean fresh install is always the better option. And since Win 10 can be clean-installed now with older keys, with the CPU upgrade (and chipset drivers that go with it), unless you can't install something again....I'd recommend it.

After you install the SSD though and transfer out any data files you have to the new HDD, it would be great to keep a clone or image of the SSD on your old HDD to have as a good back up. When funds would allow then, I would get an external to back up your 320Gb data drive (pictures, videos, music, games, etc).

jdaniel 125

Honorable
Jul 14, 2015
I FIXED IT!

i re-applied the thermal paste, and when i put the CPU cooler back on, it didnt seem tight enough, so i pushed the fan in VERY hard, then i heard a loud pop sound and i felt the CPU fan go in all the way and lock into place, the core 2 duo now runs at a stable 50-60 C

Solution