Intel Core i3 2100 Vs AMD Phenom X4 955 for GAMING.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Intel Core i3 2100 Vs AMD Phenom X4 955 For GAMING.

• Intel Core i3 2100

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • AMD Phenom X4 955

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters

rickytrux11

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

lol....i did say about performing a antivirus scan at the time of gaming....i just said that the antivirus sofware will be running in the background while gaming....cuz antivirus starts running as soon we start up our systems....

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
quote from the X-bit labs tester....

"As you know, it is the graphics subsystem that determines the performance of the entire platform equipped with pretty high-speed processors in the majority of contemporary games. Therefore, we do our best to make sure that the graphics card is not loaded too heavily during the test session: we select the most CPU-dependent tests and all tests are performed without antialiasing and in far not the highest screen resolutions. In other words, obtained results allow us to analyze not that much the fps rate that can be achieved in systems equipped with contemporary graphics accelerators, but rather how well contemporary processors can cope with gaming workload. Therefore, the results help us determine how the tested CPUs will behave in the nearest future, when new faster graphics card generations will be widely available."

Above is a direct quote from the X-bit test. Looks like the games in the test were hardly maxed out.

"Therefore, the results help us determine how the tested CPUs will behave in the nearest future, when new faster graphics card generations will be widely available."

With multi-core future and APU's just around the corner and console ports....ummmm!! I think the tester is streching things a bit. Anyway most of us don't hang onto our systems more than about 18 months....do we? By that time those benches will be meaningless.

AMD's strategy is CPU + GPU evolving into APU so they really should be sticking to realistic gamer expectations and not lower teir level performance where both CPU's will be more than capable anyway.

Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my thoughts...

I wouldn't buy a Sandybridge now, Ivybridge will come out with a new chipset, knowing intel they will discontinue P67 and Z68 making you pay $350 for mid level Z77 motherboards, add to that the IB will be slightly faster at a higher premium, if you buy a Sandy now you are stuck for good, if you buy a H61 even worse.

nazgron

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

The new Ivy disappoint me by working 5% faster than SB but generate more heat so I think they're no better than SB tho. If you wanna buy Ivy you'll have to wait (for god's sake, more wait = Haswell released already rofl) till intel fix the heat problem or just live with it - which is not very convenient.

And P67 & Z68 can run Ivy cpu with no prob, most of the PC store will help you with bios update.

Imo this is fine if we buy SB now as Ivy is only 5% better, unless you're a very very-enthusiast user. And nothing wrong with H61 too we can bios update it to run Ivy cpu later ^^. Imo the H61 socket is awesome =), it fits common user much more than AMD $50-$60 socket 880 mainboard (I'm currently using an x3 445 and I have to use the 3rd party HSF - CM212+ to prevent overheating from playing Minecraft zzz).

I'm gonna buy an i3-2120 next week for the upcoming Diablo 3. Don't have much faith in Haswell tho (i've never been into intel at any bit) so i'll just skip it & wait for the AMD Piledriver. I was always an AMD fanboi till Crapdozer slap me hard.

marian80

Honorable
Oct 1, 2012
I have both Cpu's I3-2100 & P-II x4 970 it's confusing when I see so much review's in favoir of I3 & test,bench that say I3 is the winer,but in reality that's not the case,both config's are paired with 2x4gb HyperX Genesis 1600 9-9-9-27 in dual chanel & ASUS 6870 DC + WD Black sata3 500gb & Win7-SP1/64bit,nothing is overcloked & Phenom's based config performs much better in games & almost in everything!

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Sounds Legit.

Also I've heard that if you dip your computer in Sulfuric acid and then dry it off with a flamethrower it will get a speed boost. True story