Intel Core i3 8100 and GTX 1050 2gb

Hadi Ahmed

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014
Hi Hope you guys are fine
so i am currently getting bottleneck with Core i3 2100 and GTX 1050.I wanted to ask if Core i3 8100 will bottleneck with Gtx 1050
and also is Core i3 8100 Coffee lake compatible with Asus PRIME B250M-A Intel LGA1151
Thank you

Solution
i3-8100 is plenty fast enough for GTX 1050. No, i3-8100 is not compatible with B250. You need 300 series motherboard, like B360.

*All that money on a new setup would be good in the long run; but if you just want to run your GTX 1050 then a used i5-3570 would be good enough. Just update your motherboard's bios before installing a 3rd-gen CPU.
i3-8100 is plenty fast enough for GTX 1050. No, i3-8100 is not compatible with B250. You need 300 series motherboard, like B360.

*All that money on a new setup would be good in the long run; but if you just want to run your GTX 1050 then a used i5-3570 would be good enough. Just update your motherboard's bios before installing a 3rd-gen CPU.

Solution
Your I3-2100 is a decent LGA1155 cpu.
What is your motherboard?
The Asus PRIME B250M-A you referenced is a older lga1151 motherboard that does not support the new 8th gen processors like the i3-8100.
Also, your ddr3 ram is not going to work either.

There are some stronger processors available for your motherboard and ram, but for a decent price, you need to buy used.
What is your budget, what do you have now?

InvalidError

Titan
Something always bottlenecks, even if you have overclocked 1080Ti in SLI on an overclocked i9-7900X with overclocked memory. The real questions are which component is going to be the worst bottleneck in the games/software you use the most and whether that happens beyond the minimum performance you are willing to accept.

Between the i3-8100 and GTX1050, they'll be trading blows for which one will be the dominant bottleneck on a game-by-game basis.

As stated by the first response, if all this is just so you can upgrade the CPU, I'd just upgrade to a third-gen (Ivy Bridge) i5. They're about $50 on eBay. There isn't much performance difference (clock for clock and core for core) between the 2nd/3rd gen and 8th gen Intel CPUs. Maybe 15%-20%. The only compelling reasons to upgrade from Sandy Bridge (ix-2xxx) are to reduce power consumption, for better integrated graphics, and new features like Thunderbolt support. (Ivy Bridge is just a die shrink of Sandy Bridge.)

Frankly, Sandy Bridge had the most important feature upgrade in the last decade (USB 3.0, SATA 3.0 support, low power consumption on idle). Everything else has been marginal or incremental, or can be added via a PCIe card (you bought a desktop so you could add cards, right?), or an annoyance (DDR4 RAM when all your old RAM is DDR3). The lack of compelling reasons to upgrade has meant that Intel has been trying to manufacture reasons. Like conspiring with Hollywood to require a new hardware-based encryption scheme for streaming 4k videos, thus requiring a Kaby Lake processor. Fortunately you can do that with a Nvidia 10x0 GPU as well now (AMD support supposedly coming later this year), to bring that capability to older CPUs.

InvalidError

Titan

Sandy Bridge does not have native support for USB3, you have to step up to Ivy Bridge/70-series chipsets for that. From Sandy Bridge to Coffee Lake, IPC has increased by closer to 40%, Sandy's optimistic overclocks have become stock boost clocks and Coffee Lake also bumped the core count up across the board, which gives the 4C4T i3-8100 another 30-40% advantage over older 2C4T i3.

All together, the i3-8100 should be about twice as fast as the i3-2100.

While it didn't have native support, pretty much every Sandy Bridge system shipped with some form of USB 3.0 support.

From Sandy Bridge to Coffee Lake, IPC has increased by closer to 40%,
Coffee Lake is too new for widespread benchmarks. Here's Sandy Bridge vs Kaby Lake in real-world tasks.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/13/kaby_lake_7700k_vs_sandy_bridge_2600k_ipc_review/3

All together, the i3-8100 should be about twice as fast as the i3-2100.
Which shouldn't be all that surprising considering the i3-8100 is a quad core vs the dual core i3-2100. The more interesting comparison would be an i3-8100 vs an i5-3570 (same clock speed on 4 cores). A quick web search gives the edge to the i3-8100 by about 15%-25%. (Which is in line with the Sandy Bridge vs Kaby Lake comparison linked above.)

Now consider it would cost about ~$400 to upgrade to the i3-8100, vs $50 for the i5-3570. You'd be paying $350 for about 20% more CPU performance. Totally not worth it. The one constant in the computer industry, outlasting even Moore's Law, has been that the price-performance curve is very steep for the most recent 1-2 years of technology. And you'll pay out the nose if you want to be on the bleeding edge.

InvalidError

Titan

Coffee Lake launched in October 2017 which is seven months ago. There are tons of benchmarks out there, just not many that cover both current and "ancient" CPUs like SB/IB or even Haswell anymore.

The only part of CL that is relatively new is the budget-oriented chipsets but the performance difference between motherboards and chipsets at stock clocks (the only ones that matter on locked CPUs/chipsets) are within the 2-3% error/tweak/fudge margin on the reference clock used to generate the other clocks, which means no meaningful difference between most boards regardless of chipset.

Hadi Ahmed

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

I plan to use GTX 1050 for another year or two so i guess yeah actually all my games are running well except for FIFA 18 that's why i want to buy something that wont bottleneck with GTX 1050 and will run my games buttery smooth

Hadi Ahmed

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

Yes kindly guide me on this as i recently bought GTX 1050 and DDR3 ram and i cant afford DDR4 ram as i plan to buy Processor and Mobo
Budget is 22k 25k max
Current specs are
Core i3 2100
GTX 1050
DH61WW mobo
8GB DDR3 1600mhz

Hadi Ahmed

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

My Current i3 2100 works well with all the games but it horribly bottlenecks with FIFA 18

Hadi Ahmed

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

Yes i can get an i5 5 gen here fore 60$ but and if it dont bottlenecks i dont need to spend 80$ more on an i3

Hadi Ahmed

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

I'm happy with the performance of GTX 1050 but i dont want my cpu to bottleneck and i need to buy something to finish this off

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I run a i5-3570k with a gtx660ti and fifa18 isn't a problem. However, the game is also on ssd, not hdd, so that can be a difference with read/write times.

There's much that can add to cpu bottleneck, like anti-virus or other background apps, windows store, Lan speeds, outdated drivers (make sure all the motherboard chipset drivers are newest releases) etc.

I understand that. What I'm saying is you won't notice much difference in gaming performance between an i5-3570 and an i3-8100 because you will be GPU bound in most games with the GTX 1050.

InvalidError

Titan

Depends on graphics details. If you are willing to compromise a little on graphics, you can stretch GPUs much longer. I tried the FFXV demo and the highest GPU load I could achieve on my 1050 was around 60%. My i5-3470 doesn't appear to be able to push the demo much beyond 40fps regardless of how much I lower graphics and the total CPU load rarely exceeds 60% too. A typical case of a game being bottlenecked by single-threaded CPU performance.

Hadi Ahmed

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

Oh sorry
But i just dont want Bottleneck with it i can compromise on Graphics a bit

Hadi Ahmed

Honorable
Feb 11, 2014

I'll do that but will updating Bios work ?

InvalidError

Titan

If your motherboard's CPU support list says that the motherboard supports the CPU, then making certain that you have a BIOS version equal or greater than the one that originally added support for your CPU (typically by installing the latest) should be the only thing you need to worry about.

As @InvalidError said you will want to check your motherboard's CPU support list for compatibility. Find out your specific motherboard and check the manufacturer's website for CPU support list.

If you don't know your motherboard you can install https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy