Intel Core i3-8350K Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I do find it slightly strange that they even mention that. Who gets a K series CPU and doesn't overclock? And while Intels stock coolers are great if you want an included and quite solution, they are and never have been sufficient for OCing.

Most people who buy this will get a high end air cooler or CLC to be able to hit that magical 5GHz clock speed.

I am interested to see what Intel can do with 10nm but we wont see desktop parts for quite a few months or at least until later next year. Hopefully it has had enough time for them to work the bugs out and drop the thermals and power while upping the clock speed and hopefully core count to push AMD a bit harder. Although I think in order to combat the thermals they will need a bigger die as every shrink tends to shrink the die size and the same core count will normally increase thermals since it has a smaller space to dissipate the heat.

scart35

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017

Yes you're right they have 10% restock fee when opened. But that's nothing major.
Yup I've considered whole platform cost 140+110+10(second hand dark rock slim,should be good for stock speeds) grand total 260€ for CPU+MB+Cooler
Ryzen is almost the same but why should I buy cheap B350 with shoddy VRMs when I can get superior X370 with better VRM,I/O etc?
So ryzen platform is at least the same price or more expensive (replacing B350 and stock cooler).
Ranting aside, I hope in two things that AMD will reveal Zen+ sooner than 31.1 and Intel will release cheaper MBs for locked chips so I can swap that i3 for Zen+ or 8400 with cheap MB.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador

There's plenty of good B350 boards out there that don't have "shoddy" VRMs. VRM quality isn't even necessarily related to chipset. B350 has plenty of connectivity for most people, so unless you want to run dual GPUs I don't see much reason to spend the extra money for X370. So by the sounds of things a Ryzen 1600 would have still had a lower platform cost for you.

scart35

Prominent
Nov 20, 2017
Maybe, but I'm not looking for the best value per $ spent. What I want is high IPC/clock speed (because adobe suck with ther multicore implementations)
And with 8400 with cheap MB I will get both + "muh cores"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS