intel core i4-7400k with intel h110 chipset motherboard

Lonelyowl7

Prominent
Feb 24, 2017
I bought an intel core i5-7400k and an asus h110m-e/m.2 motherboard and I just noticed it said that h110 chipset motherboards might be noncompatible or need a bios update to be used together. What do I do?

Solution
Is it too late to cancel the order?

As @mlga91 says, it's really difficult to know what BIOS versions boards ship with, and you don't want to be in a situation where you're having to find/beg/borrow/buy a Skylake CPU.

Rather than the more expensive H270 board, I'd suggest the cheaper B250 chipset. It has everything most people need and starts around $20 less than the H270 boards.
If you can cancel the order too, consider paying $10 more for the i5 7500. The 7400 is clocked quite a bit lower. If you can't cancel, don't worry - the i5 7400 is still a decent CPU, just worth the extra $10 if you can.

mlga91

Admirable
I take it that you ordered a i5 7400 (non k as there is no CPU like that). Pray that it comes with the latest BIOS, if not, then you'll need a cheaper skylake CPU only to update the BIOS, my recommendation would be to cancel that order and put a decent motherboard in there, like a h270 mobo.

Is it too late to cancel the order?

As @mlga91 says, it's really difficult to know what BIOS versions boards ship with, and you don't want to be in a situation where you're having to find/beg/borrow/buy a Skylake CPU.

Rather than the more expensive H270 board, I'd suggest the cheaper B250 chipset. It has everything most people need and starts around $20 less than the H270 boards.
If you can cancel the order too, consider paying $10 more for the i5 7500. The 7400 is clocked quite a bit lower. If you can't cancel, don't worry - the i5 7400 is still a decent CPU, just worth the extra $10 if you can.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS