[SOLVED] Intel core i5 10200h 2.40 GHz temperature

Raven2221

Prominent
May 24, 2020
Hey. I've recently bought a new laptop, mainly for working and studying. It came with an intel I5 10200H 2.40 Ghz cpu. Its completely new, and when idle it gets heats up to about 50 C - is that a normal thing? My older laptop used to oscilate at about 30-40 when idling, so does my other PC. Im on win 10.

Solution
Hey there,

What make/mode laptop is it?

To answer your question, a lot of laptops, particularly gaming laptops with a strong enough CPU, will get warm. Whilst yours isn't the most powerful mobile CPU, or core/thread heavy, idling temps could easily be in those realms.

A couple of factors at play here are the small enclosure of the laptop which really keeps a lot of heat in, and the cooing system itself. Most laptops have barely adequate cooling for modern CPUs they employ.

You can try a few things to keep temps down like using a good cooling pad, with raised back end to allow more airflow through the intakes for your laptop fans. Consider undervolting your CPU. Consider replacing thermal paste with something better.
Hey there,

What make/mode laptop is it?

To answer your question, a lot of laptops, particularly gaming laptops with a strong enough CPU, will get warm. Whilst yours isn't the most powerful mobile CPU, or core/thread heavy, idling temps could easily be in those realms.

A couple of factors at play here are the small enclosure of the laptop which really keeps a lot of heat in, and the cooing system itself. Most laptops have barely adequate cooling for modern CPUs they employ.

You can try a few things to keep temps down like using a good cooling pad, with raised back end to allow more airflow through the intakes for your laptop fans. Consider undervolting your CPU. Consider replacing thermal paste with something better.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
50'c is not critical - temps when fully loaded matter more.
a new PC will do a lot of background work. downloading updates - scanning for viruses etc... sending Windows telemetry. so idle is relative.

also your new laptop may have a different cooling curve than your old setup, maybe cooling doesn't kick in as early to keep the laptop quiet or save juice... those are fairly easy to adjust

Hey. I've recently bought a new laptop, mainly for working and studying. It came with an intel I5 10200H 2.40 Ghz cpu. Its completely new, and when idle it gets heats up to about 50 C - is that a normal thing? My older laptop used to oscilate at about 30-40 when idling, so does my other PC. Im on win 10.

Reactions: Phaaze88