Question Intel core i5 11600k bottleneck for RTX 3080?

Sep 11, 2022
Hi all,

I about to buy GPU but i have a few concerns. I'm not sure which GPU should fit best my PC build.
At first I thought to buy RTX 3080 but I realized that my CPU might be a bottleneck so I'm thinking about RTX 3070ti as well.

I have Intel core i5 11600k and afraid that 3080 (Asus tuf in this case) might be bottleneck for some games. There is no plan to upgrade the PC or the CPU to an i9 11900k anytime soon.
I game on ultrawide screen 3440 x 1440, 144Hz.
I intend for RTX 3080 (OC 12GB version) than RTX 3070ti (both Asus tuf) for a long term and because the difference between them is 30$ in my country, but again, I'm afraid it might be overkill.

According to this calculator there is no bottleneck for the i5-11600k with RTX 3080 https://pc-builds.com/bottleneck-calculator/
I am more interested in real experiences by users than calculators.

Advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
Do not believe in the bottleneck calculators, especially the one that you linked. Several people here will say the same. You can read up reddit threads regarding the bottleneck calculators. There will always be some kind of bottleneck even with the most powerful component combinations. As for your setup, the 11600K will be fine for 1440p gaming at that refresh rate, but then it will always depend on the game. You might have to lower a few settings to reach the 144 Hz refresh rate in graphically demanding games and some games you do not. It's better to buy the RTX 3080 as it will perform better and age better than an RTX 3070 Ti if you plan to keep it for years to come.

Sep 11, 2022
Do not believe in the bottleneck calculators, especially the one that you linked. Several people here will say the same. You can read up reddit threads regarding the bottleneck calculators. There will always be some kind of bottleneck even with the most powerful component combinations. As for your setup, the 11600K will be fine for 1440p gaming at that refresh rate, but then it will always depend on the game. You might have to lower a few settings to reach the 144 Hz refresh rate in graphically demanding games and some games you do not. It's better to buy the RTX 3080 as it will perform better and age better than an RTX 3070 Ti if you plan to keep it for years to come.
Just what i thought.
Thanks mate