News Intel Core i5-12400 Review: Budget Gaming Supremacy

Anyways, jokes and language nitpicking aside, I'm very curious if indeed H0 chips will consume less power then C0. Could be very interesting for people who just want to pair the CPU with cheapest mobo they can find.

Reactions: helper800
Great, we go from the not available/imposible to get GPUs at decent price, to the not available and imposible to get, and yet not launched CPUs benchmark.

I will just write what I been writing and saying for the last year and a half: intel and amd can keep launching as many CPUs as they can. If I can not upgrade my GPU, because of price and/or availability I couldn't care less about a new CPU.

A real pitty.

..... Well I guess this is good for small, medium and big enterprises who may just need a powerfull desktop PC with integrated gpu.

jgraham11

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
Paul, your article is very thorough but some of the testing choices I don't understand:
  1. Why is your 12400 stockPL running above the stock MTP power limits. The "Stock" settings have a Tau of 117 seconds. Almost double the 56 seconds that is the actual stock. Doesn't seem very honest calling it stock when its not.
  2. In your value discussions, you fail to mention the extra cost of the higher cost motherboard that this 12400 would have to be in.
  3. Your comment refering to PCI-E 5.0 lanes working for data storage is incorrect. Only one Asus board currently can do PCI-E 5.0 from m.2.

At the price point of the 12400 and given GPU prices, the 5600G would have been a better comparison, but that would have meant comparing Intel's horrible integrated graphics to AMD's vastly superior onboard graphics...

Reactions: The_King
Paul, your article is very thorough but some of the testing choices I don't understand:
  1. Why is your 12400 stockPL running above the stock MTP power limits. The "Stock" settings have a Tau of 117 seconds. Almost double the 56 seconds that is the actual stock. Doesn't seem very honest calling it stock when its not.
  2. In your value discussions, you fail to mention the extra cost of the higher cost motherboard that this 12400 would have to be in.
  3. Your comment refering to PCI-E 5.0 lanes working for data storage is incorrect. Only one Asus board currently can do PCI-E 5.0 from m.2.
At the price point of the 12400 and given GPU prices, the 5600G would have been a better comparison, but that would have meant comparing Intel's horrible integrated graphics to AMD's vastly superior onboard graphics...
Do you know the pricing of the B660 DDR4 boards? If so please list them.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Since the emergence of Ryzen, I've been very much in favor of AMD . . better performance/watt, lower power consumption overall, and competitive, if not superior, performance to Intel.

I am, however, very impressed with the 12400. Were I in the market to buy today, and if there were the B660 or H670 boards available, I'd probably go with this CPU.

The power consumption numbers weren't expressly given in charts comparing to the other CPUs, and I know there's the concern with C0 vs H0, but I am definitely looking forward to those charts when they become available.

So far, though, Intel's got a winner on its hands here.

Reactions: helper800

PedramR

Commendable
Jan 3, 2022
Not even sure why I still read TH's CPU reviews. They have a known history of advocating for Intel many years ago which still goes on. Shockingly misleading CPU charts that does everything to make sure Intel CPUs are on top by not including flagship competitor CPUs, overclocking Intel CPU... most annoying ones in my opinion are best CPU for something and miraculously Intel always takes the lead by winning in 3 out of 5 categories. definitely biased and not honest journalism

Reactions: VforV and The_King
Not even sure why I still read TH's CPU reviews. They have a known history of advocating for Intel many years ago which still goes on. Shockingly misleading CPU charts that does everything to make sure Intel CPUs are on top by not including flagship competitor CPUs, overclocking Intel CPU... most annoying ones in my opinion are best CPU for something and miraculously Intel always takes the lead by winning in 3 out of 5 categories. definitely biased and not honest journalism
If this is your assessment after reading CPU articles for the last few years then that is all that needs to be said, however, I shall humor you. Toms had been showing AMD CPUs smashing intel for 2 years prior in reviews. Did you not bother to read those because it does not fall into your narrative of an alternate reality? I will not even go into the substance of what you said because the comparisons made in the article were all reasoned and justified.

logainofhades

Titan

Ryzen was on top for quite some time. Maybe your bias only focuses on what you don't like to see. Even recent best of articles includes both AMD and Intel. As Ryzen user, I would say the articles have been quite fair. I guess fanboys are going to fanboy, though.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpus,3986.html

Considering these boards are not running final BIOS versions and there's no B or H boards available, this is quite good to put pressure on AMD and force them to either low the price of the 5600X or actually get other lower end variants for budget people. Overall, the price point should be slightly lower than a B550 with a 5600X/G, so this smacks that price point right on the face. Good.

Looking forward to tomorrow's AMD announcement and see if they'll take notice of this as Intel seemed very eager to let some review outlets get some samples early, lol. Yes, yes; spare the tinfoilhat comments. It's hard to not think about the timing of things and how much of a big coincidence it is.

Regards.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Great, we go from the not available/imposible to get GPUs at decent price, to the not available and imposible to get, and yet not launched CPUs benchmark.

I will just write what I been writing and saying for the last year and a half: intel and amd can keep launching as many CPUs as they can. If I can not upgrade my GPU, because of price and/or availability I couldn't care less about a new CPU.

A real pitty.

..... Well I guess this is good for small, medium and big enterprises who may just need a powerfull desktop PC with integrated gpu.
The only reason its not available and not possible to get is because its not released... there are benchmarks because its not like the cpu gets made the day before launch. Benchmarking and tech media can get unrealsed products.

Reactions: rtoaht and Why_Me
Considering these boards are not running final BIOS versions and there's no B or H boards available, this is quite good to put pressure on AMD and force them to either low the price of the 5600X or actually get other lower end variants for budget people. Overall, the price point should be slightly lower than a B550 with a 5600X/G, so this smacks that price point right on the face. Good.

Looking forward to tomorrow's AMD announcement and see if they'll take notice of this as Intel seemed very eager to let some review outlets get some samples early, lol. Yes, yes; spare the tinfoilhat comments. It's hard to not think about the timing of things and how much of a big coincidence it is.

Regards.
There have been leaked benchmarks for this CPU since October, intel did not time this to spoil amd announcements.
https://www.techradar.com/news/intel-core-i5-12400-leak-could-be-amds-worst-nightmare

Reactions: rtoaht and Why_Me

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
This just in: there will be b and h series chipsets to use for alder lake non k processors. Also people who want an apu will buy a CPU with integrated graphics designed to do more than show a display. The 5600g was marketed as an apu and the igpu was the main purpose. The 12400 is marketed as a gaming CPU. Not an apu. So dont act they are scared to compare it to an apu. anyone with half a brain wouldn't make this point because everything I just said is obvious

Reactions: rtoaht

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If this is your assessment after reading CPU articles for the last few years then that is all that needs to be said, however, I shall humor you. Toms had been showing AMD CPUs smashing intel for 2 years prior in reviews. Did you not bother to read those because it does not fall into your narrative of an alternate reality? I will not even go into the substance of what you said because the comparisons made in the article were all reasoned and justified.
They created their account 10 minutes before posting this, which kind of tells you all you need to know...

pretty ballsy for someone to come in here like that. When i first joined I was worried to express my opinion when I saw some people had been here while I was still in diapers
All you need to know about the AMD shills on here is that they hang in the News forum like flies on a dead carcass but rarely if ever back their drivel up by walking the talk by posting builds in the Systems forum.