Intel Core i5 3570 upgrade. Good buy or not worth it?

ryan5609

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I am upgrading my old Phenom II X6 1055T (running stock clocks) to a new Core i5 3570 (I did not get the "k" version because it was $30 more, and I dont intend to OC). I obviously upgraded the mobo and I also picked up a new XFX 7970 Black Edition, which is the main reason I decided to upgrade my CPU. I was worried about bottle-necking the GPU. I use the computer mostly for gaming (FPS games) I am also a graphic designer, so I also use Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, Dreamweaver, etc. quite often.

So was my upgrade justified or should I have waited? I just ordered it today so its not too late to return everything.

svengeguttensen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
The two key advantages of the 3570K over the 3570 are that the former has an unlocked multiplier for O/Cing and superior integrated graphics. Since you're planning to run at stock speed with a discrete graphics card, both advantages are moot in your case. Neither chip is a "bottleneck" for any current graphics card, so don't worry about that either.

In short, rest assured that you made the right choice and saved a few bucks in doing so!

svengeguttensen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
The two key advantages of the 3570K over the 3570 are that the former has an unlocked multiplier for O/Cing and superior integrated graphics. Since you're planning to run at stock speed with a discrete graphics card, both advantages are moot in your case. Neither chip is a "bottleneck" for any current graphics card, so don't worry about that either.

In short, rest assured that you made the right choice and saved a few bucks in doing so!

ASK THE COMMUNITY