Intel Core i5-3570K vs AMD FX-8150

G

I am planning on buying a PC and I cannot decide which processor to buy. I will be gaming, rendering and recording gameplay. All answers are very much appreciated.

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Gaming-wise they perform about the same, I am not sure about the rendering and recording aspects; although my guess would be the extra pseudo-cores might help. Regardless, I would hold out for Vishera and see.

Not really the I5 is much faster and more efficient than the Bulldozer in gaming.

As for the original question really neither is great. The Bulldozer will be a little better at rendering but lousy in gaming performance. The I5 will give great gaming performance but might have trouble rendering. Really your best bet would be the I7 because it will give you the best performance on both sides. The I7 with hyper threading off will easily out perform the Bulldozer and will be pretty much on the same level as the I5 in gaming (since they pretty much are the same CPU except the I7 as hyperthreading and extra memory cache). For rendering the I7 with hyper threading on will be better than both the I5 and Bulldozer. Like I said the I7 will give you the best performance in BOTH area's.

dyc4ha

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012

i5 and 8150 are not actually that far apart looking at benchmarks. Well regarding the i7 of course it is the best option, but it costs $100 more than i5/8150 which I believe given the choices, is the OP's budget.

In all but a few games the I5 compleatly stomps the Bulldozer. The only games where Bulldozer actually does half decent in is BF3, Skyrim and a few others. The OP never said anything about a budget so until he says otherwise the I7 is the best choice.

re-play-

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2007
OP check this out, on more recent game FX8150 do good compare to 2500k

http://atenra.blog.com/2012/06/08/amd-fx8150-vs-intel-2500k-1080p-dx-11-gaming-evaluation/

for example

guskline

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
re-play,the Bulldozer is OCd to 4.6 Ghz while the I5-2500k is only OCd to 4 Ghz! Have atenra run both cpus at 4 ghz and post the results.

I have both the 8150 and 2500k OCd to 4.5Ghz and for the most part in benchies the 2500k is faster. Myself included, we have to be careful when we post these comparisons. You can see under my member config my rigs and their speeds.

Battlefield 3 neutralizes X86 performance, the game is almost exclusively driven on GPU performance, in testing done by our OC team we tried various chips and new and old GPU's and found the results consistent.

HD7970 - most quads including the 5800K APU achieve over 80FPS while Dual Cores achieve above 70FPS, the margin between a 1100T/8150/5800K all around 82FPS and the 3930K at 90FPS is hardly distinguishable.

HD6970 - Frames fall to a 45-50FPS range for quads, and similarly the dual cores achieve much the same.

GTX 550Ti - Game becomes choppy all round nothing really is smooth even on a 3930K. generally looking around 20-30 FPS

Presets 1920x1080 Ultra presets 4AA/8AF/HBAO/Max Effects

Battlefield neutralizes pure X86 performance.

Solid_Snake3

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
I would go with an intel core i5, mainly because it has amazing performance, especially you'll notice that while gaming, you'll get amazing FPS, as long as you're not using a bottleneck GPU. It is also more upgradeable, which means you'll probably want to go with an LGA 1155 socket motherboard, and intel has stuck to giving compatibility for LGA 1155 for a LONG while. And the FX is not as good, maybe it is good for rendering, but it will be poor compared to the i5 while gaming. So if you can throw in the extra bucks, I'd definitely go with the i5-3570k. the K at the end means it is easily overclock-able, and for that you will probably want to go with a Z77 chipset motherboard because they only let you overclock. There's another chipset, which is cheaper, called the P68 or P67, also lets you overclock, but Intel decided to be sneaky and made the chipset not compatible with integrated graphics, like the intel processors have Intel HD **** graphics, with the asterisks replaced with the version of the graphics. If you're planning on getting a graphics card along with your PC, I would go with a P68/P67 motherboard. Hope this helps :)