Intel Core i5-4460 running above 90C

Feb 15, 2018
Hey there, thanks for taking the time to read this thread if you do. I have been having problems with my computer for months now, it started back about five months ago. I originally thought that the motherboard had been static shocked so I applied for RMA and got a replacement. I installed everything back and it runs now (an improvement from the no-POST awhile back) but now my CPU runs extremely hot pretty much at all times and I believe my hard drive is starting to bite the dust. The CPU will throttle itself and eventually shut off because it gets so hot, and in-game the fps stutters and hiccups which I believe to be the hard drive's doing. I am using the stock Intel cooler that came with my cpu, I will provide all my specs now.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 @ 3.2 GHz with stock cooler (planning on upgrading to Cryorig H7 aftermarket cooler after getting some insight)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Pro4
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Founder's Edition
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 2 x 4GB DDR3
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM (Planning on upgrading to Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM)
PSU: Corsair CX600
Case: Thermaltake Versa N21 with 1 stock case fan on rear

After doing some research, I believe I could solve this issue by buying that new hard drive and cooler, but I wanted to come here first and gather some insight from people that most likely know more about this than I do. This is my first build and I have had it since July 2016. I used to move it back and forth from houses but I learned the hard way that that is not the way to go for desktop PCs. The stock cooler I have right is actually starting to break to be honest with you and I'm pretty sure only two of the locking legs are actually locked in as they should be. I do have a tube of thermal paste, supposed to be high quality stuff (Arctic MX-4, I believe.) I used the pea method of spreading the paste, please let me know if there is a better method, the paste came with an included spreading tool. I was really considering buying an i7-4770k but money is an issue when it comes to that right, maybe a little later down the line after some work. So until then, I'm just probably going to buy that new cooler and hard drive and see if that resolves my issue. I can provide you with more information if you need it, (benchmarks of all kinds, temperatures, pictures, etc.) just let me know. All fans seem to be running properly and case and CPU fan are set to full speed but it doesn't seem to be doing much. Let me know what you think! Thank you! (P.S. I have been using a TV all this time for it and for my birthday I finally got a nice monitor and I really don't want to have to return it for the money, I have enough money for the hard drive now, and after some work will have enough for the cooler.)

Solution
Dude, if you have 2 pins on the cpu cooler that don't lock down, then that is 100% what is causing your overheating issue. You should replace that cooler asap.
Feb 15, 2018
The cooler works great. PC ended up messing up even more afterwards and ended up just upgrading motherboard and ram and cpu. Seems to be working great now except for I can’t figure out how to make my new hard drive my primary C: drive.