Intel Core i5-4670K vs AMD FX-8350

Light_

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
I am planing to build new pc and confused between Intel Core i5-4670K and AMD FX-8350 .I want to play games like AC unity,watch dogs and new ones at 1080p. Price is also an matter as i can use that money in graphics card,I know that amd has weak but more cores and more speed and less price .Which should i select please help !!!!

Solution
As of the latest two 'generations' of CPUs from both Intel and AMD;

i3 = 2 cores, 4 threads
i5 = 4 cores, 4 threads
i7 = 4 cores, 8 threads

FX series, amount of cores = amount of threads so,
FX 4xxx = 4 cores/threads
FX 6xxx = 6 cores/threads
FX 8xxx = 8 cores/threads. FX 9xxx as well, since they're basically extremely OC'd FX8xxx CPUs and not worth buying.

Then there's the IPC. Generally, the Intel CPU's IPC is twice as good as AMD's, so, VERY roughly, if an Intel CPU with 4 cores runs at 3GHz, it's the equivalent of an AMD CPU with 4 cores running at 6GHz, again VERY roughly. This is only valid for the cores themselves, not hyper threading. Hyperthreading loses 'efficiency' so difference won't be as big.

So a 4690k with 4 cores...

jooshi

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Well the 8350 is cheaper and got hyperthreading. But its alot slower when it comes to single threaded performance so games would benefit more from the 4670k or 4690k, also the intel its newer, got more modern mobo with new advanced features. But if u wanna save money get the 8350 and use the extra money for a better graphics card, thats where the difference lies.

Gaming performance is very much dependent on the graphics card. It's still important to have a decent CPU to avoid bottlenecks, but the graphics card is always the biggest factor.

Between the two, the 4670K is the clear winner in my opinion. If price is an issue, buy a standard i5 and invest in a better graphics card.

Lalith Reddy

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014
hyper threading is when a single core can handle two threads(multiple streams of data) but the i5 here has 4 cores so a total of 8 threads and the fx has 8 cores and 8 threads so they function the similarly but the intel has the advantage being comparatively new.

bignastyid

Titan

The i5 4670k and the 4690k do not support hyperthreading so they can only handle 4 threads. There are no current gen desktop i5's that support hyperthreading just i3s and i7s.

Lalith Reddy

Reputable
Sep 17, 2014

thanks i didnt know that

As of the latest two 'generations' of CPUs from both Intel and AMD;

i3 = 2 cores, 4 threads
i5 = 4 cores, 4 threads
i7 = 4 cores, 8 threads

FX series, amount of cores = amount of threads so,
FX 4xxx = 4 cores/threads
FX 6xxx = 6 cores/threads
FX 8xxx = 8 cores/threads. FX 9xxx as well, since they're basically extremely OC'd FX8xxx CPUs and not worth buying.

Then there's the IPC. Generally, the Intel CPU's IPC is twice as good as AMD's, so, VERY roughly, if an Intel CPU with 4 cores runs at 3GHz, it's the equivalent of an AMD CPU with 4 cores running at 6GHz, again VERY roughly. This is only valid for the cores themselves, not hyper threading. Hyperthreading loses 'efficiency' so difference won't be as big.

So a 4690k with 4 cores at 3.5 GHz is equivalent to the FX-8320 with 8 cores at 3.5 GHz. Except 8 cores are hardly being used fully at the same time, since multiple threads are currently not running as efficiently as single threads. So, generally the 4690k will beat the FX-8320.

Then there's the lackluster floating point performance of the FX series...

Solution