Intel core i5 4690k 4 cores 4 threads major fps issues.

Sep 28, 2018
Hello. Been thinking of buying an i7 4790 but im not sure it would help and how compatible it is with my setup. My friend tells me that my cpu is a top tier processor but i just can't belive him since im getting major fps drops and lags in low req games like counter strike global offensive with a fairly good gpu (gtx 1060 6gb dual oc). So lately i've been thinking that my cpu might be burnt out or is not working properly or my setup cant bring out its full potential. I need to upgrade my pc but im not sure what im supposed to upgrade. I know my pc is not the best by any means but i feel like my setup should be able to handle new games at high settings without major issues. Example: Im getting frame drops in CS at the lowest settings possible. And frame drops in Black ops 4 on medium settings. And here is another wird thing my nvida gefroce expirience says that all the games im getting fps drops in should be running at the highest settings. but my pc cant handle that. If you are familliar with gforce experience you know that there is a optimize option for all games in your library. And there it says that the optimal settings for my pc is very high settings in Cs (but my pc just gets fram drops) and very high settings in black ops 4 (yet again my pc cant handel that) And my friends with worse setupd can run these games with no problems by just lowering their settings. So either my pc is broken or my components are trash. Anyhows was wondering what i should upgrade and why this is happening. If anyone knows i would really appreciate some answers thanks!

Setup:
Gtx 1060 6gb dual oc
CPU intel i5 4690k 4 cores 4 threads haswell devils canyon.
Motherboard H97 PC Mate(MS-7850)
PSU: 700 cx corsair.
8gb ram
1tb HDD
120Gb SSD kingston.
Liquid cooler from corsair. dont know the exaclty the modell number.
OS win 10 pro.

Sep 28, 2018
On black ops 4 Its around 70C on the GPU and 66 on the CPU on very high settings with 100fps but not stable goes down to 70 sometimes but not under that. It still feels like im lagging sometimes. My goal is to have 144 fps since im on 144 hrz monitor i want 144 fps stable. Thinking ram plays a big part in it not sure though. In counterstrike global offensive i get gpu temp of 45C and Cpu temp of 69. My fps in game is like 100 and like 70-80 when doing stuff feels smooth but i get alot of lag spikes every each second. So im thinking that it isnt my gpu or cpu that casuses this since i get lag in every game but with good fps.

demonesc

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
I have the same setup but with 16gb ram.
I was using 8 but I noticed that my system was using 30% before I was even running a game.
I generally let geforce experience choose my settings unless I particularly want to tinker with a game I'm fond of.
Maybe try running everything on 1080p 60hz see what that's like then work from there.

NVE

Distinguished
May 15, 2006
Profanity of any kind is not permitted in these forums
why upgrade from a 4690k to a 4790k though? that's like a negligible performance increase. just because it has a few more threads doesn't mean you're going to get much more fps out of it. it might be better for streaming and tasks like that though. but the performance boost will honestly hardly be noticeable going from a 4690k to a 4790k. and also its 4 threads per core so its 16 threads, not 4. but yeah if you want to gain some more performance should definitely look at a newer CPU or just stick with the 4690k. I'm running a 4690k oc'd @ 4.4GHz, a gtx 970, and 16gb of ddr3 2400mhz right now and most games run just fine for me in the 150-200fps range consistently for newer titles like pubg, h1z1, apex legends, Wolfenstein 2, doom 2016, Destiny 2, black ops 4, etc etc etc in games like csgo I get around 250-300fps pretty consistent. I don't know how bad these fps drops you're having are.. but I'd make sure it wasn't something else wrong first before buying new hardware unless you want to upgrade anyways then, in that case, get a newer CPU cause a 4790k upgrade from what you got is a bad choice IMO. would be a waste of 300 bucks. also most games should be playable with this setup on high settings at around 100fps or a little above but its honestly its prob not going to feel as smooth to you as you might think it should. I'd recommend medium settings for the newest games like Blops 4. destiny 2 works pretty fine on high settings n still feels good. it just depends on the game I guess. but if you want tight responsive gameplay you never play with your settings maxed out on most games especially if you're planning on playing competitively anyways even if you have the hardware for it. and I'm not sure what you mean by fps drops because every machine gets "fps drops" it just depends how frequent they are and how much its dropping and how low. also do not i repeat do not ever sacrifice refresh rate for resolution 60hz feels horrendous to play on no matter what resolution it is in my opinion. you can barely see <mod edit> when you look around fast because of all the tearing and the responsiveness just feels like janky sluggish shit anything above 60hz is better even 75hz is loads better than 60hz. playing on 60hz is in my honest opinion the worst gaming experience you could ever possibly have. I would much rather have 100fps with like 100hz+ than say something like 300fps with 60hz. I would literally lower my resolution all the way down to 800x600 if it meant extra HZ rofl. but that's just one man's preference i suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:
why upgrade from a 4690k to a 4790k though? that's like a negligible performance increase. just because it has a few more threads doesn't mean you're going to get much more fps out of it. it might be better for streaming and tasks like that though. but the performance boost will honestly hardly be noticeable going from a 4690k to a 4790k. and also its 4 threads per core so its 16 threads, not 4. but yeah if you want to gain some more performance should definitely look at a newer CPU or just stick with the 4690k. I'm running a 4690k oc'd @ 4.4GHz, a gtx 970, and 16gb of ddr3 2400mhz right now and most games run just fine for me in the 150-200fps range consistently for newer titles like pubg, h1z1, apex legends, Wolfenstein 2, doom 2016, Destiny 2, black ops 4, etc etc etc in games like csgo I get around 250-300fps pretty consistent. I don't know how bad these fps drops you're having are.. but I'd make sure it wasn't something else wrong first before buying new hardware unless you want to upgrade anyways then, in that case, get a newer CPU cause a 4790k upgrade from what you got is a bad choice IMO. would be a waste of 300 bucks. also most games should be playable with this setup on high settings at around 100fps or a little above but its honestly its prob not going to feel as smooth to you as you might think it should. I'd recommend medium settings for the newest games like Blops 4. destiny 2 works pretty fine on high settings n still feels good. it just depends on the game I guess. but if you want tight responsive gameplay you never play with your settings maxed out on most games especially if you're planning on playing competitively anyways even if you have the hardware for it. and I'm not sure what you mean by fps drops because every machine gets "fps drops" it just depends how frequent they are and how much its dropping and how low. also do not i repeat do not ever sacrifice refresh rate for resolution 60hz feels horrendous to play on no matter what resolution it is in my opinion. you can barely see <mod edit> when you look around fast because of all the tearing and the responsiveness just feels like janky sluggish shit anything above 60hz is better even 75hz is loads better than 60hz. playing on 60hz is in my honest opinion the worst gaming experience you could ever possibly have. I would much rather have 100fps with like 100hz+ than say something like 300fps with 60hz. I would literally lower my resolution all the way down to 800x600 if it meant extra HZ rofl. but that's just one man's preference i suppose.
This used to be the case with older games only utilizing 4 cores 4 threads, however triple A titles are now optimized for 8 threads and up. It isn't just the thread count that increases going from an i5 to an i7. I used to believe the above however I found out from experience first hand that the performance jump from an i5 to an i7 is worth the difference in triple A titles if the price is right purchasing used on eBay vs. a platform upgrade. I upgraded my 1080p gaming system from an i5 4440 to an i7 4790 and it resulted in smoother game play and better 1% lows in FPS.