Intel core i5 8600k bottleneck?

Solution
The 3GB GTX 1060 Will bottleneck the Intel Core i5 8600K. But if you get a cheaper GPU you will bottleneck even more .
In a Gaming Computer, you always want the GPU to be the limiting factor. When your GPU is outperforming your CPU, it's really bad. the game could crash,... and sometimes it could be unplayable. The Intel Core i5 8600k would even max out a 1080ti before the CPU reaches 100%. But that's a good thing, actually that's the way you want it to be, So in this case is a good bottleneck.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017
The 3GB GTX 1060 Will bottleneck the Intel Core i5 8600K. But if you get a cheaper GPU you will bottleneck even more .
In a Gaming Computer, you always want the GPU to be the limiting factor. When your GPU is outperforming your CPU, it's really bad. the game could crash,... and sometimes it could be unplayable. The Intel Core i5 8600k would even max out a 1080ti before the CPU reaches 100%. But that's a good thing, actually that's the way you want it to be, So in this case is a good bottleneck.

Solution

jawlesspython04

Distinguished
May 25, 2014
I would do the same thing as what feelinfroggy777 said. Drop to an i5 8400 and get a 1060 6GB. Much better. You can always upgrade to better Coffee Lake CPUs down the road if you are not comfortable with it. Or maybe even upgrade to a newer generation if it has the same socket. Also if you are planning to get a Coffee Lake CPU, Wait a while for budget motherboards for them to come out. Right now the only option is Z370 and they are expensive. If you wait a little while, you will get a motherboard for less price and will have more money left over for a better GPU.

contagioussheep17

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
I would do the same thing as what feelinfroggy777 said. Drop to an i5 8400 and get a 1060 6GB. Much better. You can always upgrade to better Coffee Lake CPUs down the road if you are not comfortable with it. Or maybe even upgrade to a newer generation if it has the same socket. Also if you are planning to get a Coffee Lake CPU, Wait a while for budget motherboards for them to come out. Right now the only option is Z370 and they are expensive. If you wait a little while, you will get a motherboard for less price and will have more money left over for a better GPU.

Thanks awfully for that recommendation, it's what I went with. Used it up until this week and have just moved up to a GTX 1080. Still a decent machine, an 8600k with a gtx 1080 3gb would have been a terrible pairing!