Intel Core i5 LGA 1150 pins?

FATALITYSN1P3R

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
Hello, I have just received my new CPU in the mail and I have a question about the pins. When i look closely, the places where the pins would be are just flat pieces of metal. Is it broken or is this how it is supposed to be? Thanks!
dlAN54T.jpg
mzsUg9U.jpg

Solution

No problem, unlike AMD intel has been putting the pins in the socket for over ten years I believe. LGA stands for Land Grid Array which is a pin count within the socket on the mobo, the CPU itself just has contacts that connect with the pins when the CPU is clamped in place within the socket.

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

No problem, unlike AMD intel has been putting the pins in the socket for over ten years I believe. LGA stands for Land Grid Array which is a pin count within the socket on the mobo, the CPU itself just has contacts that connect with the pins when the CPU is clamped in place within the socket.

Solution

FATALITYSN1P3R

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Also another quick question. I have a tube of Arctic MX4 thermal paste coming in the mail. There is already some pre-applied to the heat sink. Am i supposed to remove that in the case of a new application or do i just leave it and apply more?

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
It's LGA1150. The LGA means Land Grid Array and there are 1150 interconnects, this is the chip package type. You will find the more 'pin' shaped pins on your motherboard socket. With miniaturization in the semiconductor industry pin does not necessarily mean a protruding metal connector, it simply means an electrical conduction point.

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016

In my experience, thermal paste will only make a difference on few degree if going from OEM/preapplied vs top off the shelf performers. I say go with the pre-applied one.

FATALITYSN1P3R

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

But in the case that I did, what would I do?

engineer5261

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016

If it is a new heatsink - use the preapplied paste
If it is an old heatsink that has been used - Remove the old thermal paste and apply a fresh new coat

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
If there is paste on the heatsink don't apply more just place the cooler on the CPU. If there isn't any, or you cleaned it off already, wait for the thermal paste you ordered to come then apply a small sized dot in the middle of the CPU. Don't spread it as the heatsink will do that for you.