Question Intel Core i7-10700F Exceeding temperatures of 100C

Jul 13, 2024
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/68215597

I don't regularly check my PC's temperatures, but when I recently checked on it while playing particularly taxing games, I noticed that my CPU had been pushing at a constant 95C+. Of course, this is troubling, everything I read online suggests that those are dangerous temperatures, and I run the risk of damaging my CPU.

My idle temperatures are around 40-60C depending on how long it's been on or how hot the ambient temperatures are. Right now, it isn't that hot so my idle CPU temperature is around 40C. However, instantly when I launch a taxing game it shoots my temperature up to 90C.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'm sure something is wrong. I don't want to open up my computer unless I'm sure I know what I am going to check or do. The heatsink should be fine, just a light coating of dust. I was thinking it could be that the thermal paste needs to be changed, it has been a few years since it was last applied. But otherwise, the fan speed of my air cooler for the CPU is spinning very fast and looks to be functioning normally. What could it be?

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/68215597

I don't regularly check my PC's temperatures, but when I recently checked on it while playing particularly taxing games, I noticed that my CPU had been pushing at a constant 95C+. Of course, this is troubling, everything I read online suggests that those are dangerous temperatures, and I run the risk of damaging my CPU.

My idle temperatures are around 40-60C depending on how long it's been on or how hot the ambient temperatures are. Right now, it isn't that hot so my idle CPU temperature is around 40C. However, instantly when I launch a taxing game it shoots my temperature up to 90C.

I'm not sure what the issue is, but I'm sure something is wrong. I don't want to open up my computer unless I'm sure I know what I am going to check or do. The heatsink should be fine, just a light coating of dust. I was thinking it could be that the thermal paste needs to be changed, it has been a few years since it was last applied. But otherwise, the fan speed of my air cooler for the CPU is spinning very fast and looks to be functioning normally. What could it be?
In your spare time update the bios and also the chipset driver if it's old.

Clear off another 80GB of space from the OS disk.

Reactions: Sneakingmouse
Run hwinfo open a taxing game and tell us the max power (watts) the CPU gets to (also icc_max and vcore if you can) ,224W is the maximum allowed by intel but realistically in games it should stay well below that.
If it uses a lot of power the mobo might be "overclocking" the cpu if you only have the stock cooler it would explain the high temps.

Reactions: Sneakingmouse
Jul 13, 2024
What motherboard and CPU cooler? What case, and how is the airflow?

Lots of possible causes: dust, poor airflow, inadequate cooler, incorrect power profile set on motherboard BIOS, deteriorated thermal paste.
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B460M DS3H AC V2-Y1
As for the cooler, I'm unsure. I can't find the product name on the cooler itself. Maybe it's obstructed by the fan or something. Although, from what I can see some dust is built-up. I suppose I could clean it off to see if that changes anything, even by a few degrees.
In your spare time update the bios and also the chipset driver if it's old.

Clear off another 80GB of space from the OS disk.
Done!
Run hwinfo open a taxing game and tell us the max power (watts) the CPU gets to (also icc_max and vcore if you can) ,224W is the maximum allowed by intel but realistically in games it should stay well below that.
If it uses a lot of power the mobo might be "overclocking" the cpu if you only have the stock cooler it would explain the high temps.
View: https://i.imgur.com/3LOwvbx.png

^ This shows my CPU voltage + temperatures as I run a taxing game. Honestly, I'm not sure where to check "icc_max and vcore" voltages in particular. But, the only voltage meters I see only go to 1.321V as the max.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Sorry for the slow replies, I have a hard time finding time to work towards this.