News Intel Core i7-13700K Review: Core i9 Gaming at i7 Pricing

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
Still having a hard time convincing myself an i7-13700K is worth it over a i5-13600K. The 13600K is amazing for an i5.... at both games and productivity. The non-K i7s might be interesting though.
Honestly it depends on how much $90-140 is worth to you. For some people, especially tech workers, $100 might not be that high of a premium, and it wouldn't take $100 away from the likes of a better GPU. In another case, their time is to where it might be worth paying $100 more to delay upgrading by at least 1-3 years.

For a gamer though, i7 vs i9 would be a harder question.

For others, $100 is huge.

PiranhaTech

Reputable
Mar 20, 2021
I'm an engineer that uses 3D CAD, rendering and I do some programming too. I also rip my blu-ray UHD collection and sometimes reencode them. I'm a better target audience for the i7 than most and the extra 20% in performance doesn't seem that useful... especially with the huge increase in power and cooling requirements. i5K is the sweet spot right now.
Good point. I'm not used to the TDPs being so ridiculous lately

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
I was considering this CPU or the 13600, but then I noticed the local price in my country, and I was taken back a bit. The strong $ makes US imports very expensive. Same thing with the iPhone, the US $ price looks ok, then I look at the actual local price I would be paying, and I realise it's become unaffordable.

Samlebon2306

Prominent
Oct 27, 2022
How could Tom's Hardware not verify the prices?

Well, according to Newegg's ratings,the 7000 chips are selling better than the 13th series; even though they require a complete platform upgrade.

Testing today hardware, please god make the amd and Intel make lots of cpu because I can't remove The graphics ou touch The power cables from The system. If I do this The 4090 will be on fire. One graphics per review and discard it if u need to remove. (Joker mode)

So for $10 more than the 7700X, the 13700K either beats or obliterates it...AMD's just a lightyear past screwed. Instead of keeping pricing aggressive like they did with Zen 1 and to an extent Zen 2, they continued to be the new Chipzilla and kept prices high, now it's coming back to bite them in the butt, so much so they're cratering and having to slash production even though they're not cutting prices in the face of a billion dollar shortfall.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
The new AM5 AMD motherboard platform is expensive, and it only supports DDR 5. While it is great to have viable competition in the CPU market again. Intel wins this round.

I'd honestly argue that you cant go wrong with either option this generation and here's why. both trade blows in games and application performance, and while the overall platform cost of 13th gen is lower in the short term, it currently resides in a dead socket. after the 13900KS, there are no more upgrades whereas if you treat AM5 like a long-term investment, your x670e board will support zen 5 and potentially even zen 6 cpus since amd stated support out to 2025+. in contrast, to get to zen 5 or 6 levels of performance with intel, it will necessitate an entirely new motherboard. with that perspective, i think platform costs equal out in the long term between both companies

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
overall platform cost of 13th gen is lower in the short term, it currently resides in a dead socket.

Honestly, I have built around 6 PC so far now, over several years. I never once decided to upgrade just the CPU without the motherboard. It never crossed my mind to keep a mobo for more than 1 CPU generation.

There was always something I wanted from newer mobo generations, newer USB 3.0, new SSD SATA support, new SSD M.2, new 2.5Gbit ethernet, new USB-C, etc.

I'm sure some people just upgrade the CPU while keeping their mobo, I just never found it to be really worth doing. I believe most people who "upgrade" upgrade their system, including mobo.

I think the "dead socket" is kind of an overblown argument, as I believe most people upgrade their mobo too when they jump on a new CPU.

Last edited:

scottscholzpdx

Honorable
Sep 14, 2017
Could we get an explanation why CPUs such as the 5700x, 5800x, 5900x and 5950x are NOT included in the review? Those are still current, in production CPUs and are often a far better value at the moment than the absolute newest.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Still having a hard time convincing myself an i7-13700K is worth it over a i5-13600K. The 13600K is amazing for an i5.... at both games and productivity. The non-K i7s might be interesting though.

If you need those few extra cores, it will be good. Else, no reason to got for it

shady28

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007

Well, according to Newegg's ratings,the 7000 chips are selling better than the 13th series; even though they require a complete platform upgrade.

Not at Best Buy they aren't, nor at Microcenter, nor at that European site that mostly sells AMD. And I'd bet that Best Buy sells more than 10X what Newegg or some website in Europe sells.

The top selling CPUs at Best Buy :

12900K @$499
5600X @$159
13600K @$329
5600G @$129
13700K @449

The 13900K and 13900KF are sold out.

I don't see anyone showing any Zen 4 even in the top 10 CPUs selling.

Reactions: KyaraM and rtoaht

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019

According to their actual CPU sales rankings, they are not. 13900k is the best selling CPU from the 2 series.

https://www.newegg.com/d/Best-Sellers/CPUs-Processors/c/ID-34/Page-2?tid=6676

On Amazon, the 7950x is the only 7000 series in the top 30 at #16. Intel has five 13 series in the top 21.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/pc/229189/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_pc

DavidLejdar

Respectable
Sep 11, 2022
The new AM5 AMD motherboard platform is expensive, and it only supports DDR 5. While it is great to have viable competition in the CPU market again. Intel wins this round.

A DDR4 rig will give you less performance on these new CPUs than a DDR5 rig will though. And both Intel and AMD DDR5 MBs are around the same price at the lowest price (so far).

Honestly, I have built around 6 PC so far now, over several years. I never once decided to upgrade just the CPU without the motherboard. It never crossed my mind to keep a mobo for more than 1 CPU generation.

There was always something I wanted from newer mobo generations, newer USB 3.0, new SSD SATA support, new SSD M.2, new 2.5Gbit ethernet, new USB-C, etc.

I'm sure some people just upgrade the CPU while keeping their mobo, I just never found it to be really worth doing. I believe most people who "upgrade" upgrade their system, including mobo.

I think the "dead socket" is kind of an overblown argument, as I believe most people upgrade their mobo too when they jump on a new CPU.

One way of how to approach it. And some may want to put a new Intel CPU in the 600-series MB they have, with it surely being plenty good for quite some time.

In my case, I went for a new MB anyhow, and AMD seemed a better choice for me, as the new AMD CPUs and some of the new MBs support more than 16 PCIe 5.0 lanes, leaving some left for Gen5 M.2 SSD. And while I do not have a gold-medal CPU at the moment, the option to upgrade individual components in the next several years without spending on a new MB, that is a nice option for me.