Intel Core i7-3770 OC'ing potential?

Sixsixx

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
Hey guys,

So I bought the 3770 over the 3770K, as I didn't understand the difference and the 3770 was about $30 cheaper. I now feel like the worlds biggest dumbass.

I read into the Intel Turbo Boost, which can apparently 'OC' to 3.9GHz, which is still pretty pathetic, seeing as I've seen the 3770K OC to 4.4GHz on air.

What I'm wondering is, how can I activate the turbo boost (I've been into the BIOS and enabled everything, CPU-Z still says I'm at 3.4GHz), and is there any way to get a 4.0+GHz (I've read about a 3770 getting to 4.3), maybe by increasing the base clock? I'm a complete noob when it comes to OC, so a thorough explanation of the process would be much appreciated.

E.G.: Here, http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2261588

The guy said he got 4.1GHz.

I have no idea how he did this, as I said above I'm completely now to OC, so please give all the help you can ^_^

Thanks a lot guys,
- Ryan

EDIT: Additional info:

RAM: 12GB DDR3 G.skills 1333MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H
GPU: EVGA GTX 680

Solution
The 3770 is not overclockable... as it is not an unlocked processor... The 3770K is an unlocked processor so it can be overclocked...

Turbo Boost is something else, its when a processor can boost its clock speeds to perform better under load.

In the BIOS there may a turbo boost target option(depends on the motherboard)... You can increase that to your turbo will go higher...

You CPU will only go to Turbo mode if its at 100% load... Use prime95 to see if turbo is working

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
The 3770 is not overclockable... as it is not an unlocked processor... The 3770K is an unlocked processor so it can be overclocked...

Turbo Boost is something else, its when a processor can boost its clock speeds to perform better under load.

In the BIOS there may a turbo boost target option(depends on the motherboard)... You can increase that to your turbo will go higher...

You CPU will only go to Turbo mode if its at 100% load... Use prime95 to see if turbo is working

Solution

clintwilks

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012

hey man...you may have thought of this already...but...did you buy any type of protection plan w the processor or where'd you buy it? I'm guessing you dont have the receipt, but if you purchased it with a credit card a lot of times the place you bought it can accomodate, especially if you want to pay more for what you want to exchange for. I'd try calling or going to the place and telling them you meant to get the "K" version. I Know there are multiple vendors who will most likely accomodate you in some way, depending on where you bought it.

Sezgin Goksu

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
Hi,

For correct information, I'm writing my own results with a 3770.
Base clock @107,5
multiplyer @41
I achieved 4400 mhz, stable in occt.(vcore@1.20-1.24)
Delidding applied for temperatures.
Beginning with i7-4xxx you can't overclock much because of the multiplyer.