Intel core I7 3930k Heating up in Idle

Krowden

Reputable
Aug 17, 2014
Hey Guys,

I have recently decided to build a budget rig with used parts. The parts are all working fine except the CPU which is idling at 53 degrees Celsius (127.4 Fahrenheit) at stock clock. Is this a common problem with buying used cpus? I have remounted the CPU cooler twice. I used arctic silver MX4 compound (pea size amount) and I haven't achieved any better results. The computer boots up so far but I'm afraid to put any stress on it.

Is there something I can do to improve temps?

here's the part's list:

Intel Core I7 3930k
Intel DX79SR LGA2011 mobo
Cooler master Hyper 212 EVO cpu cooler
thermaltake smart 700 watt psu (80+ white)
Asus Geforce GTX 780 3 gb
8 gb kingston hyper X ram
120 gb kingston SSD
2 tb seagate hdd
3 corsair case fans (2 intake, 1 exhaust)

Solution
Most used CPUs I had got performed just as if they were new. But I received faulty ones, AMD ones with bent pins and Intel ones with scratches.
Have you tried speeding up the fan on the CPU cooler.
What's the temperate in the room?
Did you inspect the CPU socket for bent pins?
If you can switch the fan configuration to 1 intake and 2 exhaust does it help to move heat out of the case?

Ameen Ahmed

Reputable
Oct 1, 2015
You can't achieve better temp than your room temp unless used with extreme cooling
In normal scenario the cpu temps will be around room temp + (5-15) C
So check if your room temps is around 40-45C
If not then we can assume its overheating.
Also do some light load to CPU and check whether the temp is rising than normal case
Also note that cpu's are very reliable that it won't die so easily

Most used CPUs I had got performed just as if they were new. But I received faulty ones, AMD ones with bent pins and Intel ones with scratches.
Have you tried speeding up the fan on the CPU cooler.
What's the temperate in the room?
Did you inspect the CPU socket for bent pins?
If you can switch the fan configuration to 1 intake and 2 exhaust does it help to move heat out of the case?

Solution