Intel Core i7 3960X+ SABERTOOTH X79 vs i5 7600k MSI B150M MORTAR

maximevanvliet

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Wich combination is better? Intel Core i7 3960X+ SABERTOOTH X79 vs i5 7600k MSI B150M MORTAR

Main focus for me is playing games, and I want to be able to stream without any performance drop.
Intel Core i7 3960X+ SABERTOOTH X79 for around: 340-380 euro's
i5 7600k MSI B150M MORTAR for around: ~ 300 euro´s

Rest of my system:
GTX 690 (might get another one)
Coolermaster Seidon v2
8 gb ram ddr5
240gb ssd kingston

Having a AMD ATHLON X4 860k want performance improve what is the better pick?

Yours Sincerely

Solution
Not really. It's not that it's a 'bad' buy..... just not really 'good' either.

350EUR is a substantial outlay for a 6 year old CPU and motherboard. The CPU isn't much of a concern (they hold up really well), but a 6 year old motherboard in used condition is a tough buy.

Now sure, that CPU was ~$1,000 when new........... but you should see comparable performance from a new i7-6700K (or Kaby Lake i7-7700K which boosts to 4.5GHz!). With that, you get the added benefits of a new product, with manufacturer &/or store warranty.

Consider the possibility. You spend 350EUR on this pairing..... and the motherboard fails. Buying 'new' isn't really an option, so you have to buy used again. A used board is a minimum 170EUR...

maximevanvliet

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

It's all because of the price my budget is around 350 euro's and the i7 6700k is going above that with a Z.

Well, don't know what country you are in, so can't really offer a good deal. But, you want to look at the i7 you had with a Z77 board. You may think having a 3xxx chip is bad, but Intel's chips are built to last. If you truly want to have good performance, definitely recommend saving up more and getting a new i7. If streaming is important to you, then that is what you want. If it is important, the i5 would be a good fit as well. Wouldn't recommend a Kaby Lake with a B150 since you are not going to notice any true difference than Skylka.e

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you currently had a 3960X, I'd say there was no reason to upgrade.

Considering you're essentially building new, It's hard to recommend investing in an older platform (the 3960X is ~6 years old).

An i7 sounds like it's ideal for your needs, but your budget isn't quite there yet. Considering (using Germany as a benchmark) and i7-6700K, Z170 ATX board + DDR4 + basic cooler is going to set you back ~500EUR, I'd suggest waiting a little longer. I'd even suggest attempting to sell any hardware you don't intend to reuse in order to make up the balance of the budget..... an 860K + Mobo + RAM should net you 100EUR

Avoid SLI. A 690 is still a strong single card, and I'd always suggest a single, powerful card over SLI.

maximevanvliet

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

I am from the Netherlands, also I was wondering in games where you need to render alot like h1z1 you can put up render distance to 6000, is the i7 better for that or would the i5 handel it better?

maximevanvliet

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

Intel Core i7 3960X+ SABERTOOTH X79 would you consider it a good buy for 350 euro's?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not really. It's not that it's a 'bad' buy..... just not really 'good' either.

350EUR is a substantial outlay for a 6 year old CPU and motherboard. The CPU isn't much of a concern (they hold up really well), but a 6 year old motherboard in used condition is a tough buy.

Now sure, that CPU was ~$1,000 when new........... but you should see comparable performance from a new i7-6700K (or Kaby Lake i7-7700K which boosts to 4.5GHz!). With that, you get the added benefits of a new product, with manufacturer &/or store warranty.

Consider the possibility. You spend 350EUR on this pairing..... and the motherboard fails. Buying 'new' isn't really an option, so you have to buy used again. A used board is a minimum 170EUR, and it's also going to be ~6 years old and used.

Solution

maximevanvliet

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016

The i7 x3960x and the motherboard have been used for 2 years.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Says who? If you're buying from a friend you trust, maybe it has.

If you're buying locally or via an auction etc, don't believe everything you read/hear.

If that truly is the case; I'd expect to see receipts for the purchase around 2 years ago.

Still doesn't change the fact it's an 'ok' buy, but not great.... with an added risk factor with lack of warranty