Intel Core i7-4771 Quad-Core CPU Available for Pre-Order

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No this is stuff Intel has been implementing a while ago, well before the NSA stuff. The NSA stuff is because of Windows 8, and most of this is hardware level not software level.

Overclocking is honestly a bit overkill these days. Before it used to be nice to be able to get better performance. But now the CPUs are so damn fast that overclocking brings diminishing results at the cost of more power usage and higher temps. Plus it degrades the CPU faster and since the process is getting smaller it will degrade even faster on smaller process nodes.

Intel is even finding a way to add extra cores that can be activated when a core goes bad.

Still the 2600K is a good CPU and will be for a while longer.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Anyone who knows computers will probably already have a 4770k or a 26/2700k.
And Grandmastersexsay is completely wrong. Those who say they're fine with their 2600k (including myself) know between the 2xxx and the 3xxx i7's, there was only a ~10% increase in benchmarks, now the 4xxx is still only 15-20% faster than the Sandy Bridge series. This makes a 300-500$ purchase just plain stupid. Personally I'm thinking of upgrading, but having to upgrade yet another mobo+cpu combo is getting a bit old. I'm probably going to wait for the 5th revision. And when that comes Mr Grandmastersexsay, I'll have a new chip, you'll have to spend more or sit with your 4xxx chip.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
What's the difference between this and the i7 3820? I have mine overclocked at 4.2 on a relatively small air cooler.

Let's say I was interested in buying this. Why would I?

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
i love my 4670k but business class pc can be on a cheaper amd cpu or i3 not this guy well unless they render but im talking about 90% of small stores and such

f-14

Distinguished
not worth buying unless you're a high end business.

i agree with some of those saying this is an NSA chip. imagine being able to shut down hackers like anonymous, bin ladens or bagdahd bobs(there are no american troops in bagdahd!) laptop via satellite transmission or cell towers signals.

the DMRA clinton signed forcing CPU ID reporting back on the P3's when they rolled out was just the start of where we are today. if it wasn't for GPS being made mandatory at the same time in cell phones and probably soon in automobiles not just GM's onstar models that a signal can be sent to kill or restrict the engine until the automobile stops, we wouldn't have to worry about big brother going all jospeh stalin/mao/ho chi minh/il sung on us if we don't agree with their policys.

Status
Not open for further replies.