[SOLVED] Intel core i7 4790k 79-80 degrees temp idle

Oct 17, 2020
Hey all,

I have an intel core i7 4790k alongside a stock Intel cooler.

Checking today I noticed Idle (On google chrome) my temps where hitting 75-80c degrees.

This is definitely not normal.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Solution
Yes. Several pieces of advice actually.

One, make sure the fan is running, if it's not, replace the fan or preferably get a better cooler.

Two, make sure that the latches, push pins or other mounting hardware are all still fully attached, seated and functional. Cooler mounting hardware does sometimes wear out or break, especially on cheaper stock or stock style coolers.

Three, if both one and two are good, then get a tube of good thermal paste and a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol and repaste your cooler, or replace it, if your budget allows for that. I recommend Thermal grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NT-H1 or NT-H2 or Arctic MX4.

If you need recommendations on a replacement cooler, just ask, and provide your region and budget so I can...

One, make sure the fan is running, if it's not, replace the fan or preferably get a better cooler.

Two, make sure that the latches, push pins or other mounting hardware are all still fully attached, seated and functional. Cooler mounting hardware does sometimes wear out or break, especially on cheaper stock or stock style coolers.

Three, if both one and two are good, then get a tube of good thermal paste and a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol and repaste your cooler, or replace it, if your budget allows for that. I recommend Thermal grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NT-H1 or NT-H2 or Arctic MX4.

If you need recommendations on a replacement cooler, just ask, and provide your region and budget so I can make recommendations that are appropriate to what's available to you.

Solution
That's actually normal for when that processor gets taxed. Check if your fan is spinning up properly. In fact, for a test, set your fan to 100% and then check--you shouldn't break 70c.

The 4790k is just a hot processor. Even with my fan at 100%, it does get much warmer than the previous processor.

That's actually normal for when that processor gets taxed. Check if your fan is spinning up properly. In fact, for a test, set your fan to 100% and then check--you shouldn't break 70c.

The 4790k is just a hot processor. Even with my fan at 100%, it does get much warmer than the previous processor.
Do you even read threads? That is his IDLE TEMPERATURE. Not LOAD temperature.

Additionally, there ISN'T a "stock" cooler that comes with or is intended for use with the 4790k. It does not come with a cooler, and there is no stock cooler for it or that is good enough for use WITH it. You need to replace that cooler with something that is capable of cooling that CPU. Any Intel stock cooler is not capable of cooling it adequately. At least not any cooler from that generation.

Additionally, there ISN'T a "stock" cooler that comes with or is intended for use with the 4790k. It does not come with a cooler, and there is no stock cooler for it or that is good enough for use WITH it. You need to replace that cooler with something that is capable of cooling that CPU. Any Intel stock cooler is not capable of cooling it adequately. At least not any cooler from that generation.
If you simply upgraded and kept your existing cooler, it won't work as this thing runs HOT. I usually can set the fan to 100% and upgrade even a higher tdp processor, but this one ran hot and even thermaled until I got the proper heatsink for it. (Mine went into a Dell 3020 SFF so I had to get the 'max performance' heatsink for it.)

Oct 17, 2020
If you simply upgraded and kept your existing cooler, it won't work as this thing runs HOT. I usually can set the fan to 100% and upgrade even a higher tdp processor, but this one ran hot and even thermaled until I got the proper heatsink for it. (Mine went into a Dell 3020 SFF so I had to get the 'max performance' heatsink for it.)
I have an Arctic Alpine 12 Cooler. I apologise it's not the stock cooler from my previous CPU

Oct 17, 2020

If you need recommendations on a replacement cooler, just ask, and provide your region and budget so I can make recommendations that are appropriate to what's available to you.

I appreciate the help, I've order some thermal paste and will re-apply tomorrow to check if the temps are any better.

My current cooler is an Arctic Alpine 12 and replacing it would be a smart idea, if you could recommend some that would really help.

I'm a student so a good cooler for the best price would be what I'm after (I know that's not always the best choice but I don't have the money to spare). I'm up north in Lincoln and have access to PC Shops and Amazon or online orders.

Oct 17, 2020
Okay quick edit.

From my investigations my CPU has somehow overclocked itself to 4.4 Ghz which might explain the higher than usual temps.

I just did a stress test and the temps got up to 98 on full load.

I'm a student so a good cooler for the best price would be what I'm after (I know that's not always the best choice but I don't have the money to spare). I'm up north in Lincoln and have access to PC Shops and Amazon or online orders.
One of the best bang for buck coolers out there is the Hyper 212 EVO, but you need to make sure you can fit it in your case:

Okay quick edit.

From my investigations my CPU has somehow overclocked itself to 4.4 Ghz which might explain the higher than usual temps.

I just did a stress test and the temps got up to 98 on full load.
That sounds like the turbo boost which will kick in under high load--that's normal. This cpu is clocked high from the factory and that's why it's fast--but it gets HOT.

Yep, my stress test under my old cooler hit 98c as well and I saw the cores thermal. You don't want to run like this. Did your cpu fan go to 100% during this test? I hope it did...

This is the very best "bang for the buck" CPU cooler that would be adequate for your CPU model. It consistently tests better than the Hyper 212 Evo, is easier to install and is quieter as well.

But this would be a MUCH better option, and would be something that could be moved forward to a newer system if you decided to upgrade, which we all have to do sooner or later.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Direct 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $42.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-17 16:33 EDT-0400

It's doubtful that your CPU just "magically overclocked" itself to 4.4Ghz. 4.4Ghz is the default NORMAL standard maximum boost frequency, and ALL 4790k CPUs boost to that speed on at least one core, and 4.2Ghz is the ALL-CORE boost speed for that CPU. So the problem is very likely not related to some mysteriously self overclocked configuration, but just to be sure, it might be a good idea to do a reset of the BIOS settings, but you will need to reconfigure the fan profiles and other custom settings you may have had in the BIOS afterwards.

If the CPU boost or overclocking profile has changed, and was not due to anything you did in Windows such as installing a utility for the purpose of overclocking it, then it should restore it to the stock default behavior, but again, I really doubt that you are seeing anything other than the default behavior that is normally seen. You could verify by doing a few things.

One, download HWinfo: https://www.hwinfo.com/download/

Two, go into the Windows power options and make sure the plan is set to "Performance". Then, click on "Change plan options" next to the Performance plan selection. Then, click on "Change advanced power settings". Then double click "Processor power state" and make sure the minimum value is set to 8% and the maximum is set to 100%. Save settings and exit.

Three, go into the BIOS and make sure that Intel speed step is enabled and that all of the C-states are enabled or set to auto. Save settings, if you had to make changes, and exit BIOS.

Four, once you are back in Windows, open HWinfo, choose the "Sensors only" option, uncheck the "Summary" option and scroll to the section that shows the Core 0, 1, 2, 3 clock settings and watch the core clocks to make sure that at some point it idles down to something near 800-1000mhz and that under a load it doesn't increase to 4.4Ghz on more than one core at a time. It will likely simply increase to 4.2Ghz when under any kind of a load where more than one core is required.

While those may be better coolers, I really don't trust anything that can't be bought from non-marketplace sites anymore. So many scammers and fakers and copycats out there and you're bound to get something inferior. The Hyper 212 is still available in retail stores too so you can just go pick one up. :)

I've bought both of those coolers, recently, from those exact resources. I'm not a fan of ANY "marketplace" sellers, at all. If I can't buy it directly "shipped by" the retailer, meaning Amazon or Newegg, etc., or sold by the manufacturer and shipped by the retailer, then I'm not likely to order it through them unless I have no other choice but it's pretty easy to determine if something is genuine or not. People who get scammed are USUALLY people who ALLOW themselves to get scammed.

Both of those products links are 100% valid, and I have received and installed those exact coolers, recently, from those exact links and sources, to prove it. Amazon "marketplace" means usually sold by a third party and shipped by that third party as well. I don't buy products, or recommend them to others, when they are both sold by and shipped by third parties, except in RARE instances on Ebay, which I mostly avoid but sometimes have no choice but to use because it is the only option for something. Personally, I've never received anything other than exactly what I expected to get through Ebay, because it's pretty clear when something is not legit, if you pay attention and have a little common sense.

Nothing wrong with the linked products I posted.

Reactions: ChumP
I've bought both of those coolers, recently, from those exact resources. I'm not a fan of ANY "marketplace" sellers, at all. If I can't buy it directly "shipped by" the retailer, meaning Amazon or Newegg, etc., or sold by the manufacturer and shipped by the retailer, then I'm not likely to order it through them unless I have no other choice but it's pretty easy to determine if something is genuine or not. People who get scammed are USUALLY people who ALLOW themselves to get scammed.

Both of those products links are 100% valid, and I have received and installed those exact coolers, recently, from those exact links and sources, to prove it. Amazon "marketplace" means usually sold by a third party and shipped by that third party as well. I don't buy products, or recommend them to others, when they are both sold by and shipped by third parties, except in RARE instances on Ebay, which I mostly avoid but sometimes have no choice but to use because it is the only option for something. Personally, I've never received anything other than exactly what I expected to get through Ebay, because it's pretty clear when something is not legit, if you pay attention and have a little common sense.

Nothing wrong with the linked products I posted.
Good to hear of your good experiences. I haven't been scammed ever either and use the same caution that you do except after seeing amazon co-mingle inventory on items that they even fulfill, that's enough for me to stay away from them and every other marketplace that allows third party sellers. F-that when I can the same thing from a legit retailer like best buy. That's the only reason I would probably still go with the hyper 212 since it will easily do the job and no chances of any funny business, but that's just me.

Oct 17, 2020
Final edit: After close inspection of my PC and Heatsink I decided to reapply thermal paste, and de-dust my PC.

After realizing that the heatsink was not properly mounted (Which means it's been like this for a couple months) I remounted it with the aid of a screwdriver and finally all four pins mounted successfully.

After tweaking some fan settings my Idle temps now sit at around 60C and under load no more than 80 which I am happy with personally.

Thank you all for your help!

USAFRet

Titan
After tweaking some fan settings my Idle temps now sit at around 60C and under load no more than 80 which I am happy with personally.
idle of 60C?

My system, just now.
5LgyRQY.png

Final edit: After close inspection of my PC and Heatsink I decided to reapply thermal paste, and de-dust my PC.

After realizing that the heatsink was not properly mounted (Which means it's been like this for a couple months) I remounted it with the aid of a screwdriver and finally all four pins mounted successfully.

Much better, but you still probably need to upgrade the cooler.

Which was the one of the very first things I said to check for.

make sure that the latches, push pins or other mounting hardware are all still fully attached, seated and functional. Cooler mounting hardware does sometimes wear out or break, especially on cheaper stock or stock style coolers.
Glad you got it sorted out though. Idle temp of 60°C is WAY too high though. And your "80°C temp under a load", is probably not even remotely "under a load" like what we'd consider to be an acceptable load for verifying thermal compliance. Download and run Prime95. Choose the "Small FFT" option. Disable the AVX and AVX2 options. Run it for 15 minutes. When it exceeds 80°C which I think it probably will fairly quickly, exit the test by clicking on the File menu and choosing exit. Don't click the X in the top right corner because that won't close it, it will just reduce it to the system tray.

IF you can run it for 15 minutes, then you are good, and thermally compliant. But with a small, not very capable cooler like that, I'll be really surprised if you aren't hitting more like 90. It's possible though, since/if you're not overclocking, but with a 60°C idle temp I'm VERY skeptical.