[SOLVED] Intel core i7 4790k 79-80 degrees temp idle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 17, 2020
Hey all,

I have an intel core i7 4790k alongside a stock Intel cooler.

Checking today I noticed Idle (On google chrome) my temps where hitting 75-80c degrees.

This is definitely not normal.

Any advice?

Thank you!

Solution
Yes. Several pieces of advice actually.

One, make sure the fan is running, if it's not, replace the fan or preferably get a better cooler.

Two, make sure that the latches, push pins or other mounting hardware are all still fully attached, seated and functional. Cooler mounting hardware does sometimes wear out or break, especially on cheaper stock or stock style coolers.

Three, if both one and two are good, then get a tube of good thermal paste and a bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol and repaste your cooler, or replace it, if your budget allows for that. I recommend Thermal grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NT-H1 or NT-H2 or Arctic MX4.

If you need recommendations on a replacement cooler, just ask, and provide your region and budget so I can...
Oct 17, 2020
Which was the one of the very first things I said to check for.

Glad you got it sorted out though. Idle temp of 60°C is WAY too high though. And your "80°C temp under a load", is probably not even remotely "under a load" like what we'd consider to be an acceptable load for verifying thermal compliance. Download and run Prime95. Choose the "Small FFT" option. Disable the AVX and AVX2 options. Run it for 15 minutes. When it exceeds 80°C which I think it probably will fairly quickly, exit the test by clicking on the File menu and choosing exit. Don't click the X in the top right corner because that won't close it, it will just reduce it to the system tray.

IF you can run it for 15 minutes, then you are good, and thermally compliant. But with a small, not very capable cooler like that, I'll be really surprised if you aren't hitting more like 90. It's possible though, since/if you're not overclocking, but with a 60°C idle temp I'm VERY skeptical.

Thank you for the help. I'll give that a go